"Bi-thick-le lane"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After reading a few of the comments on 'no lane on the other side' type I'd guessed that was the reason.
Theres a road with wide cycle lanes in Beverley as well.(link) Much disliked by motorists I think for the mental barrier it creates to stop them squeezing by. I posted a letter I wrote to the IAM about them ages ago.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The ones on Wylies Road don't look particularly wide at all, whether they are wider than they look.

HelenD123

Guru
marinyork said:
The ones on Wylies Road don't look particularly wide at all, whether they are wider than they look.

I think he means the ones on Manor Road/Woodhall Way. There are also ones on Lincoln Way at the other end of town.

snorri

Legendary Member
Lizban said:
But in reality cars need more space than bikes (runs hides and seeks cover)

Someone commented in the Comments column that cyclists should not be on the road, but "in the park."
Thinking along similar lines I would suggest the road in question is too narrow for cars, and that anyway cars should be on the motorway.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Wouldn't bother me whatever size of bike lane - I cross onto the other carriage way to overtake other vehicles/road users - be they horse drawn, cycles, mopeds, motorbikes, cars, van, buses or lorries.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
marinyork said:
If Bo Jo had built that in London many people would be saying he's brilliant.

For that particular lane they could have taken 6 inches or a foot of the other lane and given it to the middle lane. I suspect they were a bit uneasy about doing it as it is a downhill lane.

But Bo Jo doesn't have the balls... :rolleyes:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Lizban said:
But in reality cars need more space than bikes (runs hides and seeks cover)

No car need drivers who can read the Highway Code
dg_070531.jpg

PBancroft

HJ said:
No car need drivers who can read the Highway Code
dg_070531.jpg

Didn't you see the comment from the AA?

Most drivers are sensible and would be concerned about crossing the line. They may be worried about breaking the law, even though they are allowed to cross it.

So the Highway code confuses sensible drivers by encouraging them to cross the line! It is dangerous! Ban this sick filth!

eddiemee

I wouldn't mind so much if cyclists had to have insurance and be registered but they just seem to be the little Hitlers of the road and get away with anything.0 0 4:45PM, Apr 21, 2010Catweasel

This was in the comments section :-)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think I've just come up with the perfect Daily Wail story....

Sharia the Roads!

Loony left Hampshire County Council is digging up Winchester's roads to install segregated cycles lanes after complaints from local Imams that current lanes do not comply with strict Muslim laws on the separation of men and women. The new scheme, costing the taxpayer..........

I'm half tempted to plant this on their comments page ("I've heard that.....") and watch the fun.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
There is another area in Poole that has wide cycle lanes - when I visited my father in law this winter he was complaining about the width of them.

Is it something to do with Poole Council on a mad one?

(I kept quiet when he was complaining - I also kept quiet when one of husband's cousins complained re cyclists holding up traffic - I am good to the in laws!!;))

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
eddiemee said:
This was in the comments section :-)

That Catweasel comment was offensive imo, and too far. I'm sure jewish people on bikes (and there are many) would appreciate being associated with Hitler. What a plebian comment he's made. :sad:

jimboalee

Does everyone get the Lakeland Advert in the middle of the article?

The advert about ice cream makers.

Mine's the one on the left. Magimix.

If you want to make some pre-ride energy food for the night before a Rando, this is the machine to make it....

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
jimboalee said:
Does everyone get the Lakeland Advert in the middle of the article?

The advert about ice cream makers.

Mine's the one on the left. Magimix.

If you want to make some pre-ride energy food for the night before a Rando, this is the machine to make it....

No I get Wiggle. I think its cookie based?;)

Top Bottom