Bianchi Oltre XR4 Disc build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
That's a great match on the colour, can't have been easy to get it that close.

Looks like a good quality finish as well.

But stop giving me ideas:laugh:

Are you still here? Shouldn't you be out setting your powder coating kit up? :laugh:

Colour match wise I guess I got quite lucky. I held the stem cap up to the screen when going through RAL colours - none were perfect so I ended up making a judgement call on RAL 2000, metallic yellow orange :smile: In reality the parts will be far enough away from each other to disguise any slight differences so should work well 😊

Yes love that colour you achieved, matches parts of my frame^_^

Used my EasyCoat powder coater in the Winter for some projects with the children, it would be perfect for bike parts (ideally metal ones) but it's also pretty good on wood, just can't find any wood on my bike:laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I just walked past the wheels and noticed the new decals are already peeling off :rolleyes: It would seem that they're the same high quality as the originals :laugh: I've just ordered new ones from Ink My Ride, hopefully they're better than the OEM sets! I've gone for the original design but in graphite grey, will see if I have longer lasting results this time :laugh:

Last edited:

Duc gas

Über Member
I just walked past the wheels and noticed the new decals are already peeling off :rolleyes: It would seem that they're the same high quality as the originals :laugh: I've just ordered new ones from Ink My Ride, hopefully they're better than the OEM sets! I've gone for the original design but in graphite grey, will see if I have longer lasting results this time :laugh:
Really like the orange colour,surprised you weren't brace enough for matching wheel decals in place of the graphite? 👍😎

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Really like the orange colour,surprised you weren't brace enough for matching wheel decals in place of the graphite? 👍😎

Thanks, I had a similar colour scheme on the XR3 and really liked it so am trying to reproduce it and improve on it where possible :okay: I've ordered the same bar tape as below, and have painted a new Di2 bar end surround (above) as the one of the XR3 was damaged and didn't match all that well. I'll be losing the stem cap and spacer as the XR4 has the Vision Metron 5D ACR integrated bar and stem but I suspect there'll be bits of it I can tango :whistle: I wondered also about the seat clamp 🤔

I did think about orange wheel graphics, but only a few week's ago I removed the purple highlights from the wheels of another bike as it was a bit too much. Figured the Bianchi needs to retain some subtlety so I best keep my painting in check 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thats a great idea! I've got a couple of them, they're great aren't they. I might get around to painting one tomorrow now you've suggested it :laugh:

Beautiful bike by the way :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Always one to pinch good ideas quickly before anyone can remonstrate, I've started spraying the Cyckit :laugh:

I considered spraying the whole lower half, but it would have been too much orange so I've copied yours completely :okay::laugh:

After a quick fiddle with the clips I decided I was unlikely to get the part removed and refitted without breaking it so I masked around it.

A quick clean down with the last drops of rubbing alcohol (more now ordered) and it was ready for etch primer...

Two coats of primer applied as before, then on to colour. First coat:

Second coat now drying...

I'm expecting it to need a third coat of colour but will check later then get the lacquer on and the masking off :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
You’re as bored as I am John!

Surely it's not possible to be bored while there are things in the garage to paint or otherwise fettle :laugh:

I should of said earlier but I have a spare orange thingy I could of sent you.., Pat kindly sent me 2 with the clam

Think I’ll get my coat....

:laugh: It's all good, mine is painted now anyway :laugh: Useful to know there's a backup option it if all goes sour though :whistle:

I've got another coat of colour and three coats of lacquer on now. It's just drying before I try and carefully removed the masking tape 😄

Hmm... Pedal spindles 🤔

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The Cyckit has been unmasked and added to my growing collection of orange bits :laugh:

Quite pleased with that :laugh: After wondering about pedal spindles, I realised I hadn't cleaned and greased the bearings for a while - seemed like the perfect opportunity :whistle:

I'll reassembled that one before I do the second for a couple of reasons; firstly I'm still not sure if it'll look any good, and one spindle is easier to clean up than two. Secondly, if I strip them both down I'm bound to get the spindles mixed up and end up with a pair of backwards pedals :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
We like the same pedals, I've been using the Ultegra version for years, I've got a nice brand new old stock set in the box waiting for my current pair to wear out!

Top Bottom