Bianchi Oltre XR4 Disc build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Lordy, that is going to look absolutely gorgeous.

Nice write-up too. :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
We like the same pedals, I've been using the Ultegra version for years, I've got a nice brand new old stock set in the box waiting for my current pair to wear out!

That's a great idea, I may have to look around to see if I can find a pair going cheap to squirrel away :laugh: They've replaced it with the PD-ES600 now apparently but it doesnt get such good reviews, I'd imagine they'll discontinue the PD-A600 at some point now :sad:

Loving the orange. The Bianchi green not so much. xx( Though my partner who has a similar coloured bike would disagree. ^_^

Great thread @JhnBssll

haha Celeste is certainly a marmite colour. I wasn't overly fond of it at first, but quickly warmed to it and now really like it. I wonder how much of that is due to the tradition and history behind it rather than the colour itself 🤔 I guess I've just been sucked in by their marketing :laugh:

Anyway I've built the pedal back up 😄 Lots of lovely fresh grease on the bearings and some copper slip on the threads so it's nice and easy to service next time around :okay:

And the axle assembly refitted to the pedal...

I've stripped the right hand pedal down and sprayed the axle, now waiting for the final colour coat to dry before I lacquer it and reassemble it later this evening 😊

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Thanks mate :okay: The main benefit of the ceramic pulley is it looks cool :laugh: It also gives very small efficiency gains, equivalent of 6W apparently, which I immediately countered with an extra crumpet for breakfast this morning ^_^ I'm not even sorry... :whistle::laugh:

I have considered spraying the pulley :laugh: I'm still tempted... I wondered about just spraying the inner surfaces, but then they'll be first to get damaged so it would look good until I pedalled for the first time :laugh: I'll continue to consider the options ^_^

Paint arrived today! I've been on 'holiday' since last Wednesday, although have totalled about 15hrs of skype calls and meetings in that time :rolleyes: I managed to get in to the garage either end of a skype call this afternoon which has allowed me to prime, paint AND lacquer the 3 first bits ^_^

Here they are after a clean and degrease, 2 coats of etch primer, 3 coats of colour and 4 coats of satin lacquer...

View attachment 518596

The big question was paint match. I'm never going to get it perfect as the parts I'm trying to match are anodised orange rather than painted. With that said, I think we're pretty close! Certainly close enough to get away with :laugh: Here they are next to an orange Hope stem cap:

View attachment 518595

They're a shade lighter than the original, but like I said - close enough! :becool: Now I just need to resist the urge to paint other things... This always happens :laugh:
You'll be going so fast no-one will notice.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
You'll be going so fast no-one will notice.

Thats the plan :laugh: Actually thats a good point, I should really get in shape ready for the bike to be finished :whistle:

I've finished the second spindle but the paint isn't hard enough to assemble the seal on to yet. I'll pop it together later once I'm done on the turbo :okay:

I need to get it back together tonight so I can clean the workbench down again as I need it for work tomorrow :rolleyes: This working from home malarky has got a lot to answer for :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks really smart

Duc gas

Über Member
So when you finally get this thing nailed together can you give us a report on how it rides compared to the xr3 please? Genuinely interested as I have an xr3 (rim braked) ,I couldn't justify one to myself as I'm too old and slow 😂 Loving your work 👍

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
So when you finally get this thing nailed together can you give us a report on how it rides compared to the xr3 please? Genuinely interested as I have an xr3 (rim braked) ,I couldn't justify one to myself as I'm too old and slow 😂 Loving your work 👍

Thanks 😊 My trick is I stopped trying to justify things :laugh: Interest rates have dropped to nothing so there's little point having much more than rainy day savings at the moment. You only live once :okay:

I will certainly give some thought to comparisons when it arrives and goes together :okay: My XR3 is the nicest bike I've ever ridden so I have high hopes :laugh: I'm expecting it to be a little lighter and a little stiffer but time will tell 😊

I'm still waiting to hear back from Bianchi UK about their production plan and therefore an ETA for the frameset but I've noticed a few people posting pictures of brand new Tavolozza framesets in the owners club so that must be a good sign :laugh:

Duc gas

Über Member
Thanks 😊 My trick is I stopped trying to justify things :laugh: Interest rates have dropped to nothing so there's little point having much more than rainy day savings at the moment. You only live once :okay:

I will certainly give some thought to comparisons when it arrives and goes together :okay: My XR3 is the nicest bike I've ever ridden so I have high hopes :laugh: I'm expecting it to be a little lighter and a little stiffer but time will tell 😊

I'm still waiting to hear back from Bianchi UK about their production plan and therefore an ETA for the frameset but I've noticed a few people posting pictures of brand new Tavolozza framesets in the owners club so that must be a good sign :laugh:
Keep up the good work 👍

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The replacements for the replacement wheel decals arrived yesterday. This evening I had a couple of hours spare so I set about removing the replacements and fitting the replacements for the replacements :okay::wacko:

This peeling was the reason for the new set:

Here are the replacements for the replacements:

I planned to do the same prep as last time - peel the old vinyl off, clean with rubbing alcohol, dry thoroughly then apply the new decals. What I hadn't planned on, was how well stuck down 95% of the decals were 🤔:laugh: There were 3 or 4 corners that wouldn't stick at all, but the rest was stuck fast so I had to get the heat gun out and gently warm the vinyl and adhesive to get them to budge :rolleyes: Once they were all removed from the first wheel I applied the first set of new ones. This took a while, as I decided to cut the decal sets in to individual letters so I could align them all as best I could with the slight discolouration in the gelcoat. This worked pretty well, it's still possible to see in some places but is generally pretty well hidden now, following the lines of the new vinyl :becool:

Looks good, so went ahead and did the other side. Here's the back wheel finished hung up next to the front wheel with the previous set still fitted...

I can't tell which I prefer, but it doesnt matter as I don't intend to fit a third set anytime soon if I can help it, so I took the front wheel down and got to work with the heatgun :laugh: A little while (hour) later and both wheels had been returned to standard(ish) decals...

Job's a goodun 😊 I hope to hear from Bianchi this week with an ETA for the frameset as there's not a great deal more I can do until it arrives :ohmy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom