Bianchi Silvia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shimano triples can be a bit of a problem for small women with short fingers. Swinging all that brake lever gubbins takes quite a lot of strength, and it is not easy to get on the big ring. In addition, low-end Shimaano brakes are poor. Try an upgrade to Ultegra shoes and pads. and make sure the pads are properly engaged with the rim.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Definately treat it to some new celeste bar tape, my original Bianchi was red, so that got the celeste bar tape and celeste saddle treatment. My Infinito CV is full on Celeste! Every Bianchi has a bit of celeste highlight somewhere so you can't go wrong.

Not sure what brakes / Groupset it has, but I found the stock reparto corse brakes on my original one were fine, but benefited from Swiss stop green pads.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Definately treat it to some new celeste bar tape, my original Bianchi was red, so that got the celeste bar tape and celeste saddle treatment. My Infinito CV is full on Celeste! Every Bianchi has a bit of celeste highlight somewhere so you can't go wrong.

Not sure what brakes / Groupset it has, but I found the stock reparto corse brakes on my original one were fine, but benefited from Swiss stop green pads.
It has Ultegra shifters and rear mech, 105 front, FSA Gossamer chainset. The brakes are the original RC units, which to be fair, brought by 82kg bulk to a fairly convincing halt on the test ride. Agree about the Swisstop greens. Have them on my bike and they are a very worthwhile and cost effective upgrade. They have started squealing a bit lately though, which I haven't been able to remedy yet.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They would benefit even more from being put in the bin and replaced with generic Campagnolo Skeleton brakes for about £50. It is another level!
It very rarely gets ridden now, but to be fair they did their job in stopping the wheel going round when applied. The limiting factor with all brakes is the penny sized piece of rubber that each tyre has in contact with the Tarmac that ultimately decides how quickly the bike stops, the pads gripping the rim is also pretty vital particularly in the wet, hence my favour of Swiss stops, the actual calipers don't make that much difference IMHO, some might require less pressure to apply, but you can counter that by squeezing harder, and yes some may modulate better which helps to avoid lock ups. That's from using RC units, Ultegra units and weinnmann circa 1987 centre pull units!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It has Ultegra shifters and rear mech, 105 front, FSA Gossamer chainset. The brakes are the original RC units, which to be fair, brought by 82kg bulk to a fairly convincing halt on the test ride. Agree about the Swisstop greens. Have them on my bike and they are a very worthwhile and cost effective upgrade. They have started squealing a bit lately though, which I haven't been able to remedy yet.

Ah identical spec to my old via Nirone 7 then, except triple instead of compact FSA. As above I've always found the RC brakes to be fine, and that vintage ultegra shifters do a very competent job too.

oldroadman

Veteran
My lovely Spanish lady is 1.53M (5ft)
15247767221_acb9a37fef_o.jpg

Over the years it's me that's been encouraging her to get out on the bike, once I've recovered from this prolapsed disc it will be her that's motivating me to start building up my fitness again.
5cm more than Mrs ORM at 1.48 and 40kg. Any more takers for smallest partner? ^_^

Attachments

• 15247767221_acb9a37fef_o.jpg
    15247767221_acb9a37fef_o.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Gave the Bianchi a good clean up yesterday folks. Bar tape came up beautifully clean with some hot water, fairy liquid and a scrubbing brush, as suggested by @Spiderweb. De-greased the drivetrain, polished the frame, lubricated everything, Going to stick a new pair of Continental Ultrasport tyres on it before Christmas.......and it will look pretty much like new. Really happy I was able to scrub the bar tape up, as I wanted to keep the celeste colour theme for obvious reasons.

I'll put a couple of pictures up soon.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Although it wasn't exactly in a terrible state when I picked it up, a couple of hours spent with the hot water, detergent, sponge, scrubbing brush, polish and lubricant..............and it looks pretty damn good I reckon. Especially pleased with that bar tape!
DSCF5591.JPG
DSCF5586.JPG
DSCF5588.JPG
DSCF5593.JPG

Top Bottom