Bianchi Via Nirone 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have been offered a good deal on a hardly used 2010 Bianchi Via Nirone. Not sure what groupset or any other details at the moment but I'm told it was 800quid new so I'm thinking maybe Tiagra or low end Campy?. My current bike is a Genesis CdF (the "heavy" blue one), so my idea would be to use the Genesis for commuting and for longer audax type rides, and to use the Bianchi for riding like I stole it, probably to include a few duathlons.

My question is, would I notice enough difference between the rides of the Genesis and the Bianchi to make it worthwhile? Is it racy enough to use it for that purpose? I don't want to end up with two bikes which essentially do the same thing. If anyone has first hand experience of the Via Nirone that would be very helpful. :thumbsup:

young Ed

Veteran
n+1 :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Bianchi are great bikes and nice looking as well. I would say that you would notice the weight difference, but the rest depends on the spec of the gearing, wheels etc. Would be more of a racer than the Genesis IMO.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bianchi are great bikes and nice looking as well. I would say that you would notice the weight difference, but the rest depends on the spec of the gearing, wheels etc. Would be more of a racer than the Genesis IMO.
I wouldn't be averse to upgrading wheels and groupset in the future when I can afford to, unlike with the Genesis, where I think the investment probably wouldn't be worth it.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
To update, groupset is Campagnolo Xenon. Frame size is maybe larger than I would have chosen but probably still ok. Gonna take it for a burn and see how I get on. There would have to be a pretty compelling reason for me to turn it down I reckon.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
A lot of 'own brand' kit on Bianchi I recall.
Not necessarily shabby but the wheels are basic.
1st thing to upgrade would be the wheels/tyres & benefit from a weight saving too (depends on your budget).
Kind of a sportive geometry the nirone - not a bad thing.
Very well regarded brand although a little overpriced new.
Xenon is quite low and older Campy group.
I would swap this out for 10 speed tiagra eventually but horses for courses & all that.

VamP

Banned
I have a 2011 one. With the Campag Xenon as well. It's a decent enough frame, though not especially light, and the geometry is a bit pedestrian. There are definitely better alu frames out there.
The standard chainset and BB were poor, and I upgraded them fairly quickly. The brakes were cheap Tektro affairs and didn't last that long. The standard wheels are heavy and weren't especially well built, although that was easy enough to remedy. I used them as winter wheels, but wouldn't have wanted to race on them.
The groupset on the other hand is a gem. Not the lightest but much smoother shifting than Shimano kit.
I have put about 10 000 miles on mine, before moving onto a more racy frame, but we did have some good times together Beverley and I. Currently half built in shed, while I mull over what to do with her.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sounds pretty much like what I was thinking. In an ideal world I think I'd go for something a bit racier but that would mean saving up and waiting a couple of years. With this bike, I'm basically doing a mate a favour by taking it off his hands (he took up golf instead). It'll be racier than the Genesis at least, and worth investing in a few upgrades.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I have a 2011 one. With the Campag Xenon as well. It's a decent enough frame, though not especially light, and the geometry is a bit pedestrian. There are definitely better alu frames out there.
The standard chainset and BB were poor, and I upgraded them fairly quickly. The brakes were cheap Tektro affairs and didn't last that long. The standard wheels are heavy and weren't especially well built, although that was easy enough to remedy. I used them as winter wheels, but wouldn't have wanted to race on them.
The groupset on the other hand is a gem. Not the lightest but much smoother shifting than Shimano kit.
I have put about 10 000 miles on mine, before moving onto a more racy frame, but we did have some good times together Beverley and I. Currently half built in shed, while I mull over what to do with her.
Especially like the fact that you gave your bike a girls name.
Gonna name mine now & N+1 when I have managed to seduce her/pay 4 her.
Gonna be Real Tarts names I think.
They are/will be my mistresses.

VamP

Banned
Especially like the fact that you gave your bike a girls name.
Gonna name mine now & N+1 when I have managed to seduce her/pay 4 her.
Gonna be Real Tarts names I think.
They are/will be my mistresses.

All my bikes have names, but Beverley is the only girl. Named in honour of a friend at Uni who fancied herself as a bit of a 'model'.

There's also Hans (race bike formerly ridden by Adam Hansen), Omar (big, bad, black, burly TT machine, but ever so slightly gay - named after Omar Little), Gonzo (MTB made by Pace, pace = speed = speedy Gonzales = Gonzo), Redd (my cyclocross starting bike, named Redd because he is blue naturally), Cyril (my back up cross bike, Cyril the Cyclocross), and Edmund the pub bike(after the Blackadder character, as he's a bit sad and a bit funny).

My wife's bikes all have names too, but that is going OT just a bit too far...

VamP

Banned
Sounds pretty much like what I was thinking. In an ideal world I think I'd go for something a bit racier but that would mean saving up and waiting a couple of years. With this bike, I'm basically doing a mate a favour by taking it off his hands (he took up golf instead). It'll be racier than the Genesis at least, and worth investing in a few upgrades.

Yep. If you are going to upgrade, keep in mind the fact that you chose things that will go well with your future fast bike. That's what I did and now Hans is wearing a lot of Beverley's bits :smile:

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yep. If you are going to upgrade, keep in mind the fact that you chose things that will go well with your future fast bike. That's what I did and now Hans is wearing a lot of Beverley's bits :smile:
Good plan. Always think one bike ahead ;)

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Picked bike up this morning and it is a thing of beauty:wub:. Even my wife commented, unprompted, on how pretty it is! Spent a good day in the shed taking it apart and putting it together again, although it's pretty much in showroom condition. It is a smidge on the large side but a shorter stem should sort that out.

Thanks to everyone for their input, especially @VamP for your honest appraisal of the bike. Very helpful :thumbsup:

As an aside, aren't those Campagnolo brake hoods all teeny tiny and a funny shape?

Top Bottom