bib longs/non-bib longs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

some people are probably aware that I am fairly cynical about some bikes and accessories. I just don't agree with some things, full stop - I will refuse to even consider that it might be good on the grounds that I just know it isn't - I don't need to try it. The whole "bib" thing being a prime example of one of the targets of this cynicism.
It's known amongst some, also, that I am also a fairly open minded person and am willing to change my viewpoints on things if a rational argument is made (e.g. recumbents) and to try things for the first time if I'm curious that they might be good or work well for me. In the last week, bib longs has become an example of the latter. Can I just take this opportunity now, to point out that my cynicism was completely correct, and that therefore, any cynicism towards things I haven't tried I may show in the past, present or future, therefore also stands a reasonably good chance of being correct. That brings the total number of things I've been cynical of and gave in and tried only to realise my cynicism was correct, to two (the first being drop handlebars) - therefore 2/2 = 100% cynicism accuracy rate.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, bib longs. Got them from decathlon, but they were the most expensive, quality ones with the most panels and the warmest material. Tried them on, and they felt comfortable - apart from the bib bit. It made me feel too unnecessarily constrained, and just felt 'wrong'. But the worst thing was the padding was too far friggin' forward - I want it to pad my arse, not my bollocks! And due to the bib thing, it couldn't really move around much.
I rode to work and back in them, the end result being that while not UNcomfy, they weren't half as comfy as my old endura 8-panel (non-bib) shorts (which i have lost unfortunately), due to the padding being in the wrong place, and feeling slightly too constrained.
So I didn't really see the point in the bib thing, and still don't. I mean for god's sake, if it's that good why doesn't everybody just go the whole hog and have a f**ckin' BIB-thong, like Borat? :biggrin: :biggrin:
Also, what NON-bib longs has anyone got that they can recommend, criteria - must have padding, must be warm, must be cheap(ish) i.e. definitely under £50, hopefully under £35.

Membrane

bonj said:
But the worst thing was the padding was too far friggin' forward - I want it to pad my arse, not my bollocks! And due to the bib thing, it couldn't really move around much.

The padding covering your man bits is normal, all of my 3 different cycling shorts and longs have that. Due to the figure of 8 shape of the insert there isn't much I can do to position it differently with mine (none of which are bibs). I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

It might be different for bib users, having your dangly bits contoured by lycra might complement the gay look of the bibs :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

The bibs are a little restrictive...I am still getting used to mine...but they keep me warm and on a day like today i would not ride without them

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Membrane said:
The padding covering your man bits is normal, all of my 3 different cycling shorts and longs have that. Due to the figure of 8 shape of the insert there isn't much I can do to position it differently with mine (none of which are bibs). I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

It might be different for bib users, having your dangly bits contoured by lycra might complement the gay look of the bibs :biggrin:

Hmmm... all I know is my endura cycling shorts used to make it feel like i was riding an armchair, and those bib longs didn't at all - yet they had the same sort of padding, so the only problem could have been that it sat in the wrong place.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

they don't look gay, 'cos you can't tell they're bib when you've got a top on over them?! You dont' wear the straps OVER your top do you?! :biggrin: You're definitely not supposed to do that...

No bibs could cover the bollocks you spout on here Bonjy. :biggrin:

Perhaps you could try some different bibs (say from Wiggle) and return the ones that don't sit quite where you want them to. Bibs from different manufacturers will be cut differently. Some will sit slightly back, some forward. One pair from Decathlon isn't a representative sample, now is it? My Endura 3/4s sit slightly back, they might suit you. I can't imagine ever going back to non bibs, they're so uncomfortable in comparison.

domtyler

Über Member
I used to be like bonj and spurn bibs, I have now seen the light though and am gradually replacing all my shorts, summer and winter with bibs. My new favourites are Adidas bib longs, nice and fleecy, not restrictive in any way and keep you lovely and warm due to a very full bib that covers tummy and lower back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What a rant - someone has got out of bed the wrong side.

I have shorts and bib shorts, but only bib tights.

The padding is down to the make - I perfer more padding 'up front' as it generally holds things in place better - but it's a personal preference. The bib bit really is convenience - ie. they stay up/on better and offer some additional warmth. Some people may not like the elastic in shorts, and perfer bib's.

All personal preference mate....

PS the Decathlon extra warm ones are a little restrictive - I've got the winter ones with windproof sections over the front and thighs - the material is thicker in these areas, but it means I can ride the bike when it get's really cold - just not cold enough yet for mine.

Tynan

Veteran
sounds like a bad fit to me, I'm suprised at you bonj

the cheapo (£18) dhb 2006 ones are brill for me, and the padding is strictly arse, much much less than my spiffy endura shorts and I much prefer it, it's more precise and I know exactly the best position while the more generous Endura padding sometimes had me shifting around a bit

far and away the best £18 I've spent for cycling, and they do;t seem 'too' warm although that might change I suppose, I suspect legs only need a certain amount of insulation, the knees have extra layering

I'm thoroughly convinced, they fit so much better than shorts as there's no elastic/whatever gripping around the waist/stomach ad I think that means the material can be that much thinner and stretchier

plus I get a small smile everytime I read the classic 'Designed in Italy, Made in Bosnia'

Blue

Legendary Member
I prefer bibs and would never buy anything else. I find they are simply more comfortable; eg I have found the waist band on non-bib shorts restricting breathing on steep climbs whilst bibs never do this.

Whilst the straps on bibs can feel a bit odd when the garment is first donned I think that is down to them being designed for an 'on bike' position as I never feel any restriction when in the saddle.

Top Bottom