bib shorts for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Maybe the pads on my various shorts are wearing with age or weight loss has given me less natural padding. Whatever the reason I now find that 100+k rides now give me uncomfortable sensations. Of the brands that I
trust - Gore, Mavic and Sportful - which models are best suited to my needs?

Globalti

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter because they all buy their pads from a small range of pad manufacturers.

My most comfortable shorts are a pair of dhb 3/4 bibs that have an old style flat but dense pad. By contrast, newer shorts by dhb have thick spongey pads, which make my bum sweaty and sore on long rides..

Crandoggler

I bought some Merlin Elite shorts. They use the Cytech log distance pad and although I haven't tried them yet, are of astounding quality for the money and receive good reviews.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
DHB for me all the way with a good splodge of chamois cream, I like the dhb shorts because the pad is excellent and it comes a good way up the front of the shorts which helps protect the crown jewels from the cold to some degree.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Dhb aeron this year are spot on. Have bought two pairs this year, pad and all round fit have been spot on on longer rides. Even today when I was rationing chamois cream I got home irritant free

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Merlin Elite out of stock in L size so dhb Aeron speed ordered. I will report back

I like the approach of Merlin ... low key, no agressive branding so I have placed a "notfy when in stock" request

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have been using dhb for a while and like them although lately i have found maybe the pad is too thick on the cheap ones as it tends to rub in the inner crotch/ leg join and i need to wriggle around a bit , ok for commutes but for longer rides. i was considering getting some of the new essential bibs or are they the same grey pad or the thinner red pad like in the old aeron ?
Cant see any piccies on the website.
new dhb has this pad , thinner at £30 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-bib-shorts/
dhb-Bib-Shorts-Lycra-Cycling-Shorts-Black-Grey-NU0381-2.jpg

New essential £18 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-essentials-cycle-padded-bib-short/
no pad picture.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
You have to just experiment and see what works. I find castelli and gore good for longer distances. Castelli is better on road for me as it is tighter fitting and warm enough in winter. Gore is better for mountain biking as it is less fitted.

You may find the issue is your bike setup. The longer you ride the more setup issues show up. What sort of problems are you having where ?

screenman

Legendary Member
Impsport are my favourite, I do have and have had many other brands. Most of you may not heard of them but they made UK team kit for many years.

I bought some Merlin Elite shorts. They use the Cytech log distance pad and although I haven't tried them yet, are of astounding quality for the money and receive good reviews.

Have ordered a pair of these in 2XL (insert Lord Flasheart joke here) on your recommendation, and will report back after a few longish rides.

Graham

Mike!

Guru
I've always found Endura FS-Pro 260 shorts good (around £60-£65) but I also want to try something different for a change!

goody

Veteran
+1 on the Endura. Next ones will be the 260 Pro SL same as the pro's get with choice of leg length and pad width around £95.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The B'Twin ones from Decathlon (the more expensive of their several ranges)
Supposedly the same as worn by one of the pro teams.
The material is pretty thin & 'shiny', not particularly resistant to abrasion - but the pad is ******

Top Bottom