bib shorts for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I have used decathlon ones without bother, maybe you just got a bad pair

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
It doesn't matter because they all buy their pads from a small range of pad manufacturers.

My most comfortable shorts are a pair of dhb 3/4 bibs that have an old style flat but dense pad. By contrast, newer shorts by dhb have thick spongey pads, which make my bum sweaty and sore on long rides..

True. Have started wearing Triathlon shorts or Triathlon suits because the chamois are not that big or thick.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
New dhb Aeron Speed have been worn this week on 75k and 120k rides - v comfortable

Last edited:

Cyclone1

Thumbs up to Merlin, I ordered the shorts on Friday and they arrived Saturday morning. Not tried them on yet but provided they fit, I will be using them on a 40 mile ride later today.

Will let you know my thoughts...

Crandoggler

I also had to order 2XL. What I noticed between the XL and 2XL was only length difference. Actual fit was very snug, the same as the XL, but allowed for less restriction in the straps.

Have just ordered Endura MT500 3/4 in 2XL but second thoughts creeping in and thinking of changing to XL.
Any opinions on how much difference between the two?

May ask JE James to get both in and will try when I collect.

Top marks to Gore for the thermal bibs I've worn through the winter BTW. Bit tight round the bits but warm and comfy.

Cyclone1

Thumbs up to Merlin, I ordered the shorts on Friday and they arrived Saturday morning. Not tried them on yet but provided they fit, I will be using them on a 40 mile ride later today.

Will let you know my thoughts...
Wore the new Merlin shorts for a 40 mile ride yesterday and they were comfortable. They do for very snugly around the important parts and I thought on the ride this would be a problem, but it wasn't at all. The pad is large but not thick and just about covers all the important parts compared to my other shorts where Lycra does that job!

I'm 6 1, and around 83kg and the XL fit fine.

Have ordered a pair of these in 2XL (insert Lord Flasheart joke here) on your recommendation, and will report back after a few longish rides.

Graham

Have now worn these on a few rides up to 75 miles and they have become my "goto" shorts for longer rides.

I'm particularly surprised by the effectiveness of the pad which, on first inspection, wasn't as thick as expected.

This makes them very comfortable on the saddle. I actually forget that I'm wearing a pad - which must be a good thing.

I'm 5' 10", 15 stone with a 37" waist and found the 2XL to be a good fit. I'm fairly long in the torso and sometimes find the shoulder straps dig in. Not so with these, very comfortable.

Oh. And good leg grippers as well.

In fact, I'm going to get another pair.

Graham

leahcim

I'd love to get some bib shorts but I haven't managed to fathom which of the 3 different sizes I supposedly fit into for chest, waist and inside leg. I suppose inside leg can't really matter that much since they're shorts. Although I worry if my 5'11" height will mean that the M or S sizes will have straps that would be folding me in half.

(Had the same thing with jerseys. Got a couple of Torm jerseys which fit perfectly except the sleeves end an inch or so from my wrists)

Last time I bought some I went for shorts instead because it seemed easier to just pick one category - waist. Although I bought the size that was supposed to fit and they seem too tight - why can't manufacturers size clothes - and why, especially for cyclists clothes, do they assume that no one over 5'11" is thin?

I have some really cheap muddy fox shorts that fit more or less perfectly, but they have no padding. They're ok for 1.5-2 hour rides. If I could find some shorts or bib shorts that fit that well I'd be happy.

Top Bottom