Bib shorts or Shorts?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bib shorts all the way.
And you don't wear underwear with padded lycra cycling shorts.

And if you are in the market for a decent priced pair of bibs, then HERE you go.

sidevalve

Über Member
You can ride in anything you want from jeans to tracki bottoms to a wetsuit. I would advise padded cycling shorts / leggings as opposed to bib types {old git} as there is no " escape hatch" in cycling gear and stripping off when nature calls can be a pain. Depends on your riding, ie long runs / tours or shorter rides ['pends on you bladder really]. You can buy padded inner shorts but I've never tried these. As to underwear, well some do some don't. Seems to be going a bit far to me, {old git} but each to his / her own on that one ! Finally don't worry too much about doing any damage, if it feels comfy it's ok, if it starts hurtin' change it.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

You can ride in anything you want from jeans to tracki bottoms to a wetsuit. I would advise padded cycling shorts / leggings as opposed to bib types {old git} as there is no " escape hatch" in cycling gear and stripping off when nature calls can be a pain. Depends on your riding, ie long runs / tours or shorter rides ['pends on you bladder really]. You can buy padded inner shorts but I've never tried these. As to underwear, well some do some don't. Seems to be going a bit far to me, {old git} but each to his / her own on that one ! Finally don't worry too much about doing any damage, if it feels comfy it's ok, if it starts hurtin' change it.
i never thought about the ''escape hatch'' dilemma! lol, Next time i visit a stockist i might look into the padded shorts, not really liking the idea of leggings. Thanks for your input :smile:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I find that with bib shorts it is easy to slip the straps that go over your shoulder down your arms so you can get enough "clearance" so you can relieve yourself with no problem, also bibs are a lot more comfy on long rides as there is no waist band to dig into you. I suggest you go to a shop that has both and try them on and see for yourself :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

I find that with bib shorts it is easy to slip the straps that go over your shoulder down your arms so you can get enough "clearance" so you can relieve yourself with no problem, also bibs are a lot more comfy on long rides as there is no waist band to dig into you. I suggest you go to a shop that has both and try them on and see for yourself :thumbsup:
Thats probably my best option to try them on first! Any sggestions on which is the best shop to visit that allows items to be tried for size etc?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Thats probably my best option to try them on first! Any sggestions on which is the best shop to visit that allows items to be tried for size etc?

Well you are probably in a different part of the UK to me but here in North Yorkshire I get most of my cycle clothing from Cyclesense in Tadcaster here -> CLICK ME yesterday I got a pair of Altura Pro Gel Bib Shorts for £44.99 from their shop the same price as they are on Wiggle.

Even if sometimes they are slightly more expensive than online I still go there because they look after me if there are any problems later on. For instance I had an Altura Night Vision jacket and the zip started jamming, I took it back and they got me a new one as a replacement and it was 2 years old. You should support you local cycle shops otherwise they will all vanish.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lycra bibs are very stretchy. You wont have any problem having a waz.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Well you are probably in a different part of the UK to me but here in North Yorkshire I get most of my cycle clothing from Cyclesense in Tadcaster here -> CLICK ME yesterday I got a pair of Altura Pro Gel Bib Shorts for £44.99 from their shop the same price as they are on Wiggle.

Even if sometimes they are slightly more expensive than online I still go there because they look after me if there are any problems later on. For instance I had an Altura Night Vision jacket and the zip started jamming, I took it back and they got me a new one as a replacement and it was 2 years old. You should support you local cycle shops otherwise they will all vanish.
Seems reasonable, i will hunt down my nearest local shop, i prefer the personal touch of face to face dealings other than shopping online! . Thanks again for your help. Gaz.

Top Bottom