Bib shorts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
FDX are cheap and cheerful; best bang for buck IMHO. I own bib longs, big 3/4 and big shorts from them.

Recently purchased Decathlon Triban bib shorts in the same sizing i would get FDX (Medium). I am not medium in Decathlon sizes... (size 34 waist).
Amazing how personal bibs are, I was given FDX shirt and bibs (team wear) and the shirt is ok but I find the bibs terrible. Definitely cheap and cheerful.

I have found that Gore are the best for me, the only ones I've found still good at 8 to 10 hours in the saddle .

bluezelos

I'm a DHB fan, I have bib's and jerseys from them.

I've never had a problem with the bibshorts from Decathlon - 500-series or above, under £25 when on offer.
I liked Decathlon's 900 series bibs so much I ended up with four pairs. Wish I'd bought more though as was looking at the new range in our local branch and they've changed for the worse. What was the 900 is now the 'Triban RC500' - a fiver cheaper at £39.99 but now also with hemmed, mesh bib straps that will almost certainly bunch up and are far too long for me. What used to be the Aerofit (same 900 series pad) is now the 'Van Riesel RR900' - same price at £49.99 but with much narrower flat straps that were rolling up and digging in within 30 secs of trying them on. Really disappointing. May have to look at the DHBs.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I liked Decathlon's 900 series bibs so much I ended up with four pairs. Wish I'd bought more though as was looking at the new range in our local branch and they've changed for the worse. What was the 900 is now the 'Triban RC500' - a fiver cheaper at £39.99 but now also with hemmed, mesh bib straps that will almost certainly bunch up and are far too long for me. What used to be the Aerofit (same 900 series pad) is now the 'Van Riesel RR900' - same price at £49.99 but with much narrower flat straps that were rolling up and digging in within 30 secs of trying them on. Really disappointing. May have to look at the DHBs.

That is a shame as they were difficult to fault for the money.

That said, I took a gamble on a pair of FDX "Limited Edition" bib shorts off Amazon and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality for under £20.

Nebulous

Guru
I was reluctant to pay for expensive bibshorts, but had some problems on longer rides so reluctantly got sucked in.

DHB have different grades. As someone said, read the advert and it will tell you how long the particular pad is rated for. I have a lower range pair of tights and the pad is rubbish, but I have DHB aeron shorts and they are very good.

Castelli I bought a pair with the pad everyone raved about and have never really taken to them.

Nalini - I bought a bag of secondhand stuff from someone who had given up cycling and got two jerseys I really liked. I saw tights on sale and because of my previous experience with the jerseys I bought them and really like the pad.

Redwhite - link have been marketing themselves for long distance cycling. They're quite dear, but occasionally have a sale. I bought a pair a couple of years ago and tried to use them sparingly, but have just bought another pair. I am very impressed. The lycra even feels more comfortable than anything else, as well as a very comfortable pad.

i'm in the market for some shorts. have an upcoming sportive, 75miles distance.
went out for a 58mile ride the other day and my current shorts don't seem up to the job, bum was not happy :thumbsdown:
i have a GO outdoors but they don't stock those CRAFT ones, looked good for the price
might head to Decathlon see if the TRIBAN model is any good
the PLANETX ones won't be in stock until after my sportive , bah
i have DHB tights for winter but the shorts still seem pricey...
choices choices

vickster

Legendary Member
i'm in the market for some shorts. have an upcoming sportive, 75miles distance.
went out for a 58mile ride the other day and my current shorts don't seem up to the job, bum was not happy :thumbsdown:
i have a GO outdoors but they don't stock those CRAFT ones, looked good for the price
might head to Decathlon see if the TRIBAN model is any good
the PLANETX ones won't be in stock until after my sportive , bah
i have DHB tights for winter but the shorts still seem pricey...
choices choices

Depending on your budget, Sigma have castelli and other higher end brands in their sale

https://www.sigmasports.com/clearance/cycle-clothing#cat3[]=bibshorts&page=1&filters={}

dhd.evans

Veteran
FDX are cheap and cheerful; best bang for buck IMHO. I own bib longs, big 3/4 and big shorts from them.

Recently purchased Decathlon Triban bib shorts in the same sizing i would get FDX (Medium). I am not medium in Decathlon sizes... (size 34 waist).

Update: I'm not 100% sold on the Triban shorts. They sit weird on me, although i do like the extra leg pocket they have. Very simple and nifty.

Mile195

Veteran
Most of mine are Decathlon (the more expensive ones they do - NOT the ones aimed at "occasional cyclists" which don't have alot in them). However, my favourite set are from Foska.com. They're the company that do the quirky shirts.

They're four years old and seen alot of miles. Yet I still did Chase the Sun in them last year - that's 205 miles in one day. I swear they're as comfortable now as when they were new...

What I can't seem to find out is if the Pad of say L size and that of the XXL size is the same Whereas manufacturers rave to tell us how good the pad is and all that stuff about antibacterial, wicking properties But never give the length or width of the pad I would like to think that the bigger the size the larger the pad but ok I've only got two pairs of Bib shorts both padded one is a castelli with there kiss air pad and the other a much cheaper Tenn pair that have a thinner pad but its much longer front to back. I got on with the Castelli's for a couple of years doing perhaps about 5,000 miles in them the pad doesn't look any different or feel any thinner but I am getting saddle sore on one side now as Ive posted on another thread So thats why I'm sitting at home typing this instead of being out any thoughts on this thanks

Top Bottom