Bicycle Flashing Lights Are Illegal? Really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that these flashing lights are legal for use as back up or primary lights, as long as they conform to the right colour. I.E white front and red rear, there flashing frequency also needs to be with in certain limits.
I can't see any copper stopping you and counting the number of flashes per minute!

ShipHill

Well, they're not. Legalised many years ago.

Sounds great, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if the following came out....

In a shock announcement by Sir Lord Henry Blather-Clipboard IV Secretary of State for Complicated Matters today, it was revealed that all laws passed in the UK or EU since 1980 are technically null and void because of various glaring errors and oversights by poorly trained and resourced civil servants and officials of Her Maj's government.

Davidc

Guru
Sounds great, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if the following came out....

In a shock announcement by Sir Lord Henry Blather-Clipboard IV Secretary of State for Complicated Matters today, it was revealed that all laws passed in the UK or EU since 1980 are technically null and void because of various glaring errors and oversights by poorly trained and resourced civil servants and officials of Her Maj's government.

The post suggests that you're a plonker.

Help me out BB, help me out...

How many cyclists were killed or seriously injured or just plain frightened off the roads last year by car drivers? (many of whom driver for weeks with defective lights)

-vs-

How many poor ickle dwivers had how many seconds of their driving enjoyment spoiled by the nasty men* on the bicycles with the too bright lights?

*other gender groups are available.

As a general rule, if a driver complains about my cycling they're a twunting fecktard knobjockey. And a fat one at that.

Fair question Greg. I (like many on these pages) am a keen driver and a keen cyclist - both since my youth.

Like many road users, I am occasionally wound up by drivers or cyclists or motorcyclists who direct their lamps at my eyes.

The question I was answering was from a cyclist who was curious about a motorist telling him his lights were bright. I was just answering that question and adding some thoughts that have served me well. The member who had asked (Chernij) seemed grateful for my reply.

Had this been a driving forum (which I wouldn't be on anyway) I might have said that it annoys cyclists if the little blue lamp on your dash is illuminated when they're riding towards you. But it isn't. It's a cycling forum and I was giving what I thought at the time was a measured and considered response to a query.

I do not and cannot do the whole bicycles -v- cars thing, because I rarely know which I'll be in on any given day.

If you want to talk Spurs -v- Arsenal, I can entertain you. Not very well, but I can make a go of it.

Apologies if I sounded like a 'you don't pay Road tax' driver. I'm just another road user who doesn't enjoy being dazzled but does enjoy bicycles.

ShipHill

The post suggests that you're a plonker.
So David..

I take it that you've never heard of legislation being overturned because it is technically illegal legislation?

Laws being repealed due to some oversight perhaps?

Regulations being impossible to implement due to loopholes? The recent tax scandals spring to mind for one,

I made my point in a jocular manner it's true, but my point is serious.

Laws are often made without thought and proper reasoning as to their legality, effectiveness, enforcement, consequences and so on.

And there's no need for abuse either. :laugh: Plonker... Only fools was quality.

Davidc

Guru
So David..

I take it that you've never heard of legislation being overturned because it is technically illegal legislation?

Laws being repealed due to some oversight perhaps?

Regulations being impossible to implement due to loopholes? The recent tax scandals spring to mind for one,

I made my point in a jocular manner it's true, but my point is serious.

Laws are often made without thought and proper reasoning as to their legality, effectiveness, enforcement, consequences and so on.

And there's no need for abuse either. :laugh: Plonker... Only fools was quality.

Plonker because the post was totally stupid. If I get abusive you'll know about it.

The incidence of what you're commenting on is extremely low.

Davidc

Guru
Most cycle lights now say if they are used in flash mode you must by law have to have a none flashing light with them too, silly I prefer and feel safer with a rear flashing light.

Not according to the RVLR amendment of 2005, provided they conform to the flash rate (1 to 4 per second) and are over 4 candela.

Adrian's suggestion is what I do at the back - one flashing and one steady. I usually run one flasher in daytime too.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fair question Greg. I (like many on these pages) am a keen driver and a keen cyclist - both since my youth.
Apologies if I sounded like a 'you don't pay Road tax' driver. I'm just another road user who doesn't enjoy being dazzled but does enjoy bicycles.

Nah, you just sound like the petrol has rotted your brain a bit tis all.:tongue:

I'm just another road user who doesn't enjoy being dazzled but does enjoy bicycles too. But no one ever seems to tell the drivers to stop the dazzling, nor check their lights in a shop window, whereas drivers, and other cyclists with a drivers-mindset, feel free to pick cyclists up on it. And I see one dazzling cyclist for every, say, 100 dazzling drivers and as for cars with defective lights.....

and... yawn... I drive when I have to, too. Tedious pursuit at the best of times these days. Far too many cars on the roads for me to be keen about driving. 1000 miles in a weekend was once the norm.

ShipHill

Plonker because the post was totally stupid. If I get abusive you'll know about it.

The incidence of what you're commenting on is extremely low.

You say my post was "stupid" yet agree that it does happen, although instances are low.

If that's stupid then I'll happily carry on being stupid....

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A bit OT but I'll tell you anyway :biggrin:
Last winter, on entering the darkest of dark parks :ph34r: part of my commute, I had my cateye on (only does steady beam, aimed at the ground for me to see) and a wee cheapy handle bar light, ah, and my helmet light to be seen at junctions.
So this loiterer kind of guy - what else could he have been? standing near the river side on a dark night, hauling wind, drizzling rain, watching ... complains my lights are too bright, that I have almost blinded him!
Well, I thought, serves you right for lurking in dark places! :laugh:

Nah, you just sound like the petrol has rotted your brain a bit tis all.:tongue:

I'm just another road user who doesn't enjoy being dazzled but does enjoy bicycles too. But no one ever seems to tell the drivers to stop the dazzling, nor check their lights in a shop window, whereas drivers, and other cyclists with a drivers-mindset, feel free to pick cyclists up on it. And I see one dazzling cyclist for every, say, 100 dazzling drivers and as for cars with defective lights.....

and... yawn... I drive when I have to, too. Tedious pursuit at the best of times these days. Far too many cars on the roads for me to be keen about driving. 1000 miles in a weekend was once the norm.

OK. We disagree on some things.

I spend most of my life in the Three Counties, where the roads are empty, billowing ribbons of sinuous tarmac through a contoured and sylvan paradise. Driving and cycling out here are both a delight. Not tedious. far from it. I'm sorry it has become so for you.

Oddly, the shop-window thing was something I learned as a driver, as a way of seeing whether my headlights, indicators and rear lights worked as they should. I only used it on a bicycle after buying (then ditching) one of those crazy 10w/2w rechargeable lamps with an enormous battery in the bottle cage.

Perhaps the petrol has rotted my brain. I only use it in mowers and chainsaws now... We seem to have gone accidentally diesel with our cars.

You and I both seem to enjoy cycling, so that has to be a plus.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It is however possible to have a light marked with one of these that only applies to part of the light.
and IIRC, not only possible but common to have a light which conforms to BS-whatever supplied with a mounting attachment that doesn't.
[/quote]

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OK. We disagree on some things.

I spend most of my life in the Three Counties, where the roads are empty, billowing ribbons of sinuous tarmac through a contoured and sylvan paradise. Driving and cycling out here are both a delight. Not tedious. far from it. I'm sorry it has become so for you.

Oddly, the shop-window thing was something I learned as a driver, as a way of seeing whether my headlights, indicators and rear lights worked as they should. I only used it on a bicycle after buying (then ditching) one of those crazy 10w/2w rechargeable lamps with an enormous battery in the bottle cage.

Perhaps the petrol has rotted my brain. I only use it in mowers and chainsaws now... We seem to have gone accidentally diesel with our cars.

You and I both seem to enjoy cycling, so that has to be a plus.
The joy of CC is we can all disagree and still remain 'cybermates'. And I still enjoy your posts even if I don't agree.

The trial of CC is that a lot of commentators who are drivers to the core of their mindset, having been captured by the hydrocarbon powered private transport world view, play the "I'm a cyclist too." card, in the manner of #bloodycyclists, far too often.

The joy of CC is we can all disagree and still remain 'cybermates'. And I still enjoy your posts even if I don't agree.

The trial of CC is that a lot of commentators who are drivers to the core of their mindset, having been captured by the hydrocarbon powered private transport world view, play the "I'm a cyclist too." card, in the manner of #bloodycyclists, far too often.

That has to be worth a 'like'. I appreciate it.

Tomorrow (and God knows why) I'm cycling to Hay Festival whatever the weather. Two of my kids have my car and are camping there for the week, so I cycle up tomorrow for a coiple of sessions, pick up the car and then drive back with it a week later, hand it oer and cycle home... Where is the justice?

Top Bottom