Bicycle Flashing Lights Are Illegal? Really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I mainly use the flashing front light for day time riding, if the sun isn’t quite up or its dark I don’t think twice. I have had more cars make room for me on the road due to the flashing light than at any other time.
Not too bothered if it upsets Peds or cyclists, it won’t be them under the wheels.

Nice!

Leodis

Veteran

:smile:

Yep, do I give two hoots about my flashing light annoying some stranger? Nope.

We only need a Nazi reference now and we'll have a full house....

Will this do, or did you want some text?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI_wAk4jmwcCNajfF-UY3mg9l37DPj9jtSJ2A-CfUgeb4iS9bEbQ.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
2467788 said:
I know that this is just part of your long standing effort to portray yourself as of a higher social class but I understand that one does not shout bingo. The correct shout is house.
Unless he means he's got it. And if he has, I don't want it!

RiflemanSmith

Flashers aren't illegal since 2005 but my observation as a driver is that in the dark I see flashing lights later than steady ones (front and back) and as a cyclist I'm certain this applies to other people.
Edit: Date corrected.

Ah that is why all important lights flash so you don't notice them as easily as steady lights, thanks for enlightening me.
Emergency vehicles, maintenance, bin lorries, indicators and any and all of those little blinking lights that are trying to grab your attention should be redesigned.

Davidc

Guru
Ah that is why all important lights flash so you don't notice them as easily as steady lights, thanks for enlightening me.
Emergency vehicles, maintenance, bin lorries, indicators and any and all of those little blinking lights that are trying to grab your attention should be redesigned.
I'll go by the German research thanks for bike lights.

Take a good look. The lights to which you refer are all changing to continuous light output which uses multiple, timed, synchronised lamps to give the illusion of movement. Now could there be a well researched reason for this or is it just random fashion?

Flash your lights if you wish, I'll stick with maximising my own safety thanks.

Flashing lights of various sorts have their place and can be useful. I use a flashing rear light on the bike in daylight, and a combination of steady and flash on the back at night to give continuous light and a variation to draw attention. I use continuous, steady white light on the front.

GrasB

Veteran
Take a good look. The lights to which you refer are all changing to continuous light output which uses multiple, timed, lamps to give the illusion of movement. Now could there be a well researched reason for this or is it just random fashion?

Emergency vehicles - depends on the vehicle. Some do, some don't.
Maintenance - around here most maintenance vehicles often have only 1 beacon light visible. Recently LED on/off strobes have started to be used rather than the more traditional bulb & rotating reflector.
Bin lorries - see above
Indicators - They run off an a relay which keeps all lights synchronous. The same goes for hazard warning lights.
Various other lights - Crossing lights tend to be synchronous. Beacons on skips etc tend to be single visibility strobes. Most of the railway crossings I come across use both synchronous & asynchronous timings as are moving traffic direction beacons...

hum... so maybe not eh!

Also I'd put money on you confusing 'seeing' & 'identifying', the latter has a surprisingly low relevance in good observation. It's a classic mistake I see people making all the time when driving. As I've said before, one of the best bits of observation I've ever done came in the comment along the lines of "Something fast moving in hedge coming into road" as I did an emergency stop... then a child ran into the road. I was stationary because I knew that something was going to enter the road space. I hadn't the opportunity to directly see the child, but because I was for movement & direction I instantly recognised the reflections & shadows which let me know what was going to happen. Most people wouldn't have reacted & may well have hit that kid in my position.

kedab

Veteran

Those who know.. maybe they can throw more light on this subject?

i believe you probably got all the feedback you wanted on your youtube channel, droid. this is a very old clip from you, why do you feel the need for more feedback here?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2467018, member: 30090"]We all have a responsibility out on the road. Talking about cyclist vs motorist ksi - ain't that a lame strawman argument?[/quote]
Is the concept of risk in cyclist vs motorist situations entirely lost on you?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2468662, member: 30090"]No[/quote]
Just mostly then given you claim cyclist vs motorist ksi stats are a lame strawman argument. Thanks for clearing that up.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2468681, member: 30090"]Come again?[/quote]
[QUOTE 2467018, member: 30090"]We all have a responsibility out on the road. Talking about cyclist vs motorist ksi - ain't that a lame strawman argument?[/quote]

Davidc

Guru
Emergency vehicles - depends on the vehicle. Some do, some don't.
Maintenance - around here most maintenance vehicles often have only 1 beacon light visible. Recently LED on/off strobes have started to be used rather than the more traditional bulb & rotating reflector.
Bin lorries - see above
Indicators - They run off an a relay which keeps all lights synchronous. The same goes for hazard warning lights.
Various other lights - Crossing lights tend to be synchronous. Beacons on skips etc tend to be single visibility strobes. Most of the railway crossings I come across use both synchronous & asynchronous timings as are moving traffic direction beacons...

hum... so maybe not eh!

Also I'd put money on you confusing 'seeing' & 'identifying', the latter has a surprisingly low relevance in good observation. It's a classic mistake I see people making all the time when driving. As I've said before, one of the best bits of observation I've ever done came in the comment along the lines of "Something fast moving in hedge coming into road" as I did an emergency stop... then a child ran into the road. I was stationary because I knew that something was going to enter the road space. I hadn't the opportunity to directly see the child, but because I was for movement & direction I instantly recognised the reflections & shadows which let me know what was going to happen. Most people wouldn't have reacted & may well have hit that kid in my position.

I don't confuse those so you'd loose all your money, and I'm well aware of the general effects and visibility of flashing lights. New emergency and utility vehicles are nearly all fitted with lights as I described in order to be seen.

The issue here is being seen as a moving bicycle, not being recognised as a pedestrian crossing or refuse vehicle.

At night a steady (and bright) white front light means I have only minimal problems with motor vehicles or other road users. A flasher on its own seems to render me invisible, as it does for other cyclists when I'm driving. It's also annoying.

I've previously described my preference at the back, and why.

How you choose to light your bike, if it's legal, is your decision. I'll continue to light mine to give me the best visibility and driver response.

Within reason I rate the most important factor in bike lighting as brightness, especially when I'm in South London.

Leodis

Veteran
I can’t believe a debate on bike lights flashing has turned into 6 pages.

So what are your thoughts on torches been used as bike lights? *runs for cover*

Top Bottom