Bicycle Helmet Research - Short Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kirstie said:
As a matter of courtesy I think the OP should at least post the results of his/her project on this thread, so we can see what they came up with as a result of our suggestions.

IT would also be good practice to verify the results by discussion them with the participants to see if they feel they represent their opinions accurately

very-near said:
You've had X-rays before, If you feel this way about degrees of safety, why do you still hide behind the lead curtain when exposing people or do you feel that the ones you've had aren't going to kill you so a bit more accumulation in your system could add up to a real problem ?

This is the second time I have answered this same question for you... is it the wrong answer?

After asking the question I would be interested in your response to the answer.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
NorfolkNewbie said:
I wear a helmet but wish they could make them more chic - even the chic ones look geeky... But then whatever the "look" I think it's better to be safe than sorry even if the jury is out. It's not worth the risk really... it's not exactly hard putting a helmet on. :hungry:

The jury is out, there is plenty of sound scientific evidence to show that they have no positive effect on road safety, the only reason for wearing one is fashion and as you say they ain't even chic, they are just pointless...

You want cycle chic? Try here, but don't expect helmets.

You want to be safe, read Cyclecraft.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Noodley said:
In fact, maybe helmets should be made out of the same material and be of the same construction as Pringle tubes? I mean we know how fragile pringles are but they seldom get broken in the tube, do they? But as soon as you touch them....snap!

Completely off-topic...

I once saw a 60s industrial training film from America that happened to be about how to handle Pringles without breaking them.

The narrator was one of those deadly serious Americans you hear on films about the Red Menance or how to survive a nuclear attack, but instead of saying something like "The Communist may appear as a friend or a neighbour. Do Not Be Fooled!" he kept repeating "Remember! Pringles are Fragile as Eggs"

To this day I can't eat Pringles without thinking "Fragile As Eggs"

Arch

Married to Night Train
brokenbetty said:
Completely off-topic...

I once saw a 60s industrial training film from America that happened to be about how to handle Pringles without breaking them.

The narrator was one of those deadly serious Americans you hear on films about the Red Menance or how to survive a nuclear attack, but instead of saying something like "The Communist may appear as a friend or a neighbour. Do Not Be Fooled!" he kept repeating "Remember! Pringles are Fragile as Eggs"

To this day I can't eat Pringles without thinking "Fragile As Eggs"

The irony being that an egg, in certain ways, is very very strong - try holding one lengthways between finger and thumb and crushing it. Much tougher than a Pringle.

Why on earth did anyone need an industrial training film about handling Pringles?:biggrin:

brokenbetty

Über Member
Arch said:
Why on earth did anyone need an industrial training film about handling Pringles?:blush:

:ohmy: I can't believe you would ask that!

Because...

Pringles Are Fragile As Eggs! :biggrin:

:blush:

(pronounce it "Fra-jul uz Ehggs" to capture the true drama of the original)

Whilst this survey may have good intention as part of it's creation it is not searching enough,is to subjective and narrow in the question/answer provision and 50 characters for a constructive response is a waste of space.For those of you that wear helmets I am sure that neat appearance/sharp graphics,a minimum of three size options and a good fit when adjusted, combined with good ventilation and a built-in rainwater collection/discharge system would be a hands down winner in any ones book.Of the ones that I have looked at,the Bell Lumen £59.99p(Cycling Active June 2010 p67 comes the closest,all it needs is the rainwater system).Back to the drawing board for Bell Designers.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

reiver said:
71% of people admitted to casualty departments with head injuries have had a direct relationship with alcohol. So wouldn't the do gooders intent on preventing head injuries be better spending their time advocating the wearing of helmets when having a night out or a few tinnies in front of the tele?

Apparently those head injuries don't hurt, have any lasting effect, do not need prevention and are not worthy of consideration as they are not cyclists!

Helmets only work with cyclists and to suggest anything else is apparently very silly!

Top Bottom