Bicycle Helmet Research - Short Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The question whether one should have worn a helmet is irrelevant for those people who should have but didn't and as a consequence aren't around to debate the point.

Noodley

Archie_tect said:
The question whether one should have worn a helmet is irrelevant for those people who should have but didn't and as a consequence aren't around to debate the point.

...or those who did and suffered the same end consequence :rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If an accident is so severe that it takes you out permanently it matters little if you were wearing a helmet or not...

My wearing one could be the difference between me surviving without major concussion or injury so it tips the balance enough for me, but that's just my decision and I'm happy with it.

I don't care overmuch if I look daft.

Noodley

I wonder what the 'obvious' features are which we have to exclude.....

I am struggling with this being a 4th year University research survey! 4th year at secondary school maybe. But even then not very good.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Kirstie said:
Absolutely hilarious age bands: 35 - 60?!?!?!?

Yes, I know... and some of the fields have data entry limits which are way too small to add any meaningful explaination. The student probably needs to look a bit more carefully at research methods and in particular at survey design. I was always telling my students this, but they still seemed to think it was just a matter of common sense. It isn't.

And yes, what on earth is the rationale for 35-60? It doesn't seem to fit any social categories...

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I wear one and feel safer even though i would rather not wear one.I must admit i like the weather protection and the fact i can attach front and rear mini LED's to it.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Noodley said:
I sense yet another 'researcher' who is not interested in the forum. :rolleyes:

+1

I think it is very bad form and rude towards Shaun to come on here in post 1 and expect all the info, with little chance of future input - just like the others.

I WANT to be proved wrong here, I really do.

NorfolkNewbie

Something that's been occuring to me after reading some of the comments about helmets is that if they ARE so useless, why don't we all wear motorcycle helmets instead when cycling?

I'm not offering ... but just a thought into the mix.

GrasB

Veteran
NorfolkNewbie said:
Something that's been occuring to me after reading some of the comments about helmets is that if they ARE so useless, why don't we all wear motorcycle helmets instead when cycling?

One of the problems with the latest FIA, etc. approval for crash helmets is the impact requirements are getting higher & higher. This is great for those huge crashes but there's a fair amount of concern that the latest standards are no longer protecting against the smaller impacts & the head it's self is heavily impacted via percussion though the helmet's structure. I wonder if this could be an issue with using motorbike helmets? They'd be great if you binned at 40mph on a down hill section but may afford little to no effective protection at lower speeds. I duno, just thinking on the keyboard.

wafflycat

NorfolkNewbie said:

Because when doing cycling by our own efforts, as opposed to sitting on a motorcycle, we're effectively exercising, which generates heat. That heat would cause you to sweat buckets in a motorcycle helmet and also to overheat. The overheating effect is one reason why cycle helmets have vents..

Flying_Monkey said:
Yes, I know... and some of the fields have data entry limits which are way too small to add any meaningful explaination. The student probably needs to look a bit more carefully at research methods and in particular at survey design. I was always telling my students this, but they still seemed to think it was just a matter of common sense. It isn't.

And yes, what on earth is the rationale for 35-60? It doesn't seem to fit any social categories...

Problem is with all of these survey websites etc its very easy to put together a survey that will tell you precisely nothing. Try doing a properly administered online survey and reach the right respondents by email - it's really hard (guess what I'm currently embroiled in...)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:

Thinking about it, I suppose I thought "Oh, I'm over 35....:biggrin: hey, I'm nowhere near 60!:smile:" So maybe it's a confidence booster...

<watchout! Aerially mobile porcine!>

Top Bottom