Bicycle indicators, Winkku.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've been looking around for a decent indicator set. The Bycygnal ones don't look too bad, but the indicators seem rather close to the lights so probably won't be very visible. Also, after reading the reviews the wireless system seems to be a bit temperamental.

These 'Winkku' ones seem like a really good idea. I've always made do with on offside mirror, but when I get my new bike, I was going to fit 2 anyway. I also like the ideas of appearing wider from both front and back, plus extra lighting......I'm trying to talk myself in to buying them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3357f9ae9c

The end of this clip (2m 50s) shows how they work (and sound.)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TWsAwaLw32E

thomas

the tank engine
I wouldn't waste your money with anything like that. If I pass a cyclist I don't look for indicators, I look for a good arm signal.

Judging by the amount of drivers who couldn't anticipate even the most basic of movements when out for a ride earlier, I doubt they'd even notice (or care) about some bicycle indicators.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The end of this clip (2m 50s) shows how they work (and sound.)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TWsAwaLw32E

That has to be the worst un-boxing video i have ever seen. Dead silence?

Anyway, as Thomas said (and lets be honest, he is the one that buys the whacky stuff around here) don't bother with these things.
Rather than giving you a load of reasons not to get them. Why don't you tell us what your thoughts are about why you need them.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Rather than giving you a load of reasons not to get them. Why don't you tell us what your thoughts are about why you need them.

Because I've got to buy 2 mirrors anyway. On my Dawes I added a bar front and rear to widen the lights out for better visibility. The Winkkus would make the new bike appear wider. Mirrors can't hurt ( assuming you do a lifesaver, ) and I've found that anything that makes you stand out on a bicycle, be it hi-viz, flashing led tabbard, extra lights, helmet light etc etc can only be a good thing. Motorists just don't notice the mundane, and I care not one jot if I look silly, as long as I lower the risk of been taken out.

Every review I've read on the Winkkus says that cars give them a much wider birth. Would anyone NOT want motorists to do this????

I'd be fitting them to me soon to arrive ( and slightly illegal ) e-bike, so weight is not an issue.

thomas

the tank engine
That has to be the worst un-boxing video i have ever seen. Dead silence?

Anyway, as Thomas said (and lets be honest, he is the one that buys the whacky stuff around here) don't bother with these things.

haha. thank you :biggrin:

Because I've got to buy 2 mirrors anyway. On my Dawes I added a bar front and rear to widen the lights out for better visibility. The Winkkus would make the new bike appear wider. Mirrors can't hurt ( assuming you do a lifesaver, ) and I've found that anything that makes you stand out on a bicycle, be it hi-viz, flashing led tabbard, extra lights, helmet light etc etc can only be a good thing. Motorists just don't notice the mundane, and I care not one jot if I look silly, as long as I lower the risk of been taken out.

Every review I've read on the Winkkus says that cars give them a much wider birth. Would anyone NOT want motorists to do this????

I'd be fitting them to me soon to arrive ( and slightly illegal ) e-bike, so weight is not an issue.

Why do you need two mirrors? Even if you need two, you can buy them for a few quid (probably), rather than these for £50.

Though I have never used any of these type of gadgets, I do like my silly cycling stuff. They had them on the gadget show and the review was basically they are ok, but can't replace any existing method of signalling or looking around .... which makes them a bit pointless.

I have a feeling if you did buy them you'd regret it. I think you'll end up faffing around with the switches on them which will both be a pain, and a distraction.

I did however see the other week, someone who had things on the end of their bars which were white front, amber side and red behind. I was only walking, but they really stood out to me (but they would, being a bit different). I imagine these bar end* lights would have the desired effect - but probably be cheaper and more useful.

(*I nearly called them bell end lights LOL...they go on the end of flat handlebars).

I am all for the other things you suggest (RE.the different lights)....I have these new little helmet lights (like Knogs, but with velcro). Obviously, no use alone...but they are pretty bright and dont' weight anything on my helmet). For £50 you could buy 4 sets of these (much better value)...or 2 blackburn mars 4 (with change)...or buy a decent light set.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

If I pass a cyclist I don't look for indicators, I look for a good arm signal.
T

Of course you do, but then you're a cyclist, which means you are probably well above average in showing 'due care'. Unfortunately, 99% of motorists aren't cyclists. Motorists tend not to notice cycles/motorcycles as they aren't a 'threat'. As a motorbiker, if I see another rider do a 'life saver' check, I know they're about to pull out. The average motorist wouldn't have a clue as to their intention though.

If you cycle or have a motorbike/LGV license, you should posses above average skills on the toad. I think that car drivers would notice the indicators though, and there's no way it could make you less visible is there??? As I said before, surely what we all want is for car drivers to give us more space?

Whilst on 2 wheels, I always assume the bloke in the car/lorry is either on the phone/lighting a fag/putting on make up/shouting at the kids in the back/drunk/drugged up/just passed their test.....basically, I assume that they haven't seen me. Whatever I can do to make them more likely to take notice, I do. I know, for example that the led vest I wear gives me a massive boost in the dark, because I've seen others wearing them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you're planning on using them to replace your arm signals then please dont do it.

if its just for extra visibility and you'll be signalling by hand/arm anyway, then go the whole hog and be a christmas tree.

thomas

the tank engine
T

Of course you do, but then you're a cyclist, which means you are probably well above average in showing 'due care'. Unfortunately, 99% of motorists aren't cyclists. Motorists tend not to notice cycles/motorcycles as they aren't a 'threat'. As a motorbiker, if I see another rider do a 'life saver' check, I know they're about to pull out. The average motorist wouldn't have a clue as to their intention though.

If you cycle or have a motorbike/LGV license, you should posses above average skills on the toad. I think that car drivers would notice the indicators though, and there's no way it could make you less visible is there??? As I said before, surely what we all want is for car drivers to give us more space?

Whilst on 2 wheels, I always assume the bloke in the car/lorry is either on the phone/lighting a fag/putting on make up/shouting at the kids in the back/drunk/drugged up/just passed their test.....basically, I assume that they haven't seen me. Whatever I can do to make them more likely to take notice, I do. I know, for example that the led vest I wear gives me a massive boost in the dark, because I've seen others wearing them.

Well, my first thought when passing a cyclist isn't to look for indicators, but you are right. If I am passing a [motor]/cyclist and I see them look over their shoulder I'd instantly back off as they're probably going to turn. However, I was making much more of a point that unless you're a cyclist/motorcyclist, the average motorist doesn't have a clue.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I remember when i was at school (many,many years ago-Grifter era Cough ! ) one of my mates had indicators on his bike and even then i thought what a waste of money !
Don't do it,just chuck your arm out

the snail

Guru
I wonder how visible the lights are? The pics on ebay are photoshopped, it would be interesting to see them in operation. I think I'll stick with the tried and trusted hand signals, but let us know how you get on with them if you fit them.

Jezston

Über Member
I think there is a use for indicators on bikes - motorists are used to seeing such things on motorised bicycles so I think they'd understand them.

There are times I find myself unable to indicate by hand because I'm having to use that hand to brake and I must admit I don't like turning without indicating, and there is also the fact my new gloves don't have any reflective material on them so if it's dark I doubt anyone would notice me indicating.

But I'm afraid I do think both of the OP's suggested solutions look pretty dreadful!

Top Bottom