Bicycle Security V.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a result I got a couple of wall anchors and some Asec metal garage door bolts. Unless they are lock smiths then the only way into the garage is to literally cut a massive hole in it which would create loads of noise.

Thieves round my way have been using Strava to track down bikes. Some guy recently had his alleged £3500 bike in his "secure" shed behind a locked gate and reckons the thieves brazenly followed him home. As a result I always start my Garmin around 1/2 - 1 mile away from home & same when I return.

They don't need Strava to find where your bike lives, all a thief needs is the opportunity. That's why you need to be aware of who's watching when you get home with your bike. I used to keep my bikes in the garage but just once let my guard down when I was putting them away, the next morning they were gone. I had those additional garage locks fitted but they were useless as the thieves rammed the garage door with a vehicle taking the complete frame out.

These days my bikes live in my flat and I'm even more aware of who could be following me especially when the bikes are on the car roof.

I liked this thread, the only problem is that I have Kryptonite Newyork and it weighs a ton and is really far too heavy to carry for every day use I also have a Kryptonite cable with a padlock that I do generally use. Is there a light weight alternative to the Newyork that can be carried to the shops etc?.

Luba

I use a Kryptonite Evolution Mini that is very light. I also carry a 4D Maglite so if any scrote is attempting to half inch my bike upon my return I can light his face up and get a good pic!

This is a great thread OP.

If the police actually did anything about bike theft it would be a step forward. Unfortunately they couldn't care less. And for many this is their main means of transport. If your car was nicked you'd expect the police to bother investigating - and if they catch someone - they should be sent to prison.

If the penalties were harsher, and there was a risk of a prison sentence, less bikes would be stolen and chopped up and sold on Ebay. Sadly they're not.

The problem with the UK is that cyclists are seen as utter scum by many.

It's all good an well the average Joe voting for UKIP - cos he seems like a guy that goes down the pub - without actually knowing jack all about his policies. Someone needs to stand up for cyclists and bring us in line with European countries when it comes to attitude and infrastructure.

Traveling to Scandinavia, Germany and The Netherlands it's completely disheartening coming back and riding in this country.

There is a big online community for cyclists thanks to the recent upsurge for the hobby / sport / commute / fitness. I'm certain they'd get more votes than the Liberal Democrats.

I'd call it The Bike Party. I'm pretty sure Martyn Ashton would be keen to help out.

leemo

Commuter
If you live in a high crime area like London consider the two bike strategy:

A best bike for long weekend rides or going places where you have secure indoor parking.

A cheap bike which you can park up on the street.

My cheapo is an old 3speed which cost 150 and I secure with an evolution mini d lock. It looks crap but i have serviced it well so it is actually a reasonable ride. Perfect for,leaving at the train station or outside the pub without having to worry. Even if it does get nicked it's not the end of the world having cost not much more than a couple of decent locks anyway.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Today i have ordered 2 floor anchors which i intend to secure to the concrete under the shed base which the motorbike chains will go through and bought some of those bolts you hammer into the ground then screw it in tight to secure the shed floor to the concrete as well.Next month the walls will be reinforced as well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its becoming a Cycle Bunker, good on ya. I'd electrify mine if we didn't have cats, maybe a "cattle wire" transformer.
catcam.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Used to fell a lot safer before we "lost" our German Shepard last year, Maz won't let me have another one but to be honest I doubt we could ever have a dog as good again. Best dog of the 5 I've ever had and yes the 6 cats used to bully him.

Das

Regular
Pretty unimpressed with the Links attempt to beef up shed security tbh. Why would you use normal bolts on the hinges when you would use Coach Bolts with no head on the outside instead? Also pretty pointless spray painting the windows when you can just spec your shed without windows. If you need a window buy a second hand UPVC one, dirt cheap off gumtree etc. Beef up the door frame with some 2x4/2x6, and the actual door too. Then you can add a couple of Mortice locks and a couple of Hinge Bolts for extra security too.

Big Nick

I did some research a while back locally and found the vast majority of bikes stolen were taken from the owners home address and were not secured with any sort of lock.......food for thought

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Pretty unimpressed with the Links attempt to beef up shed security tbh. Why would you use normal bolts on the hinges when you would use Coach Bolts with no head on the outside instead? Also pretty pointless spray painting the windows when you can just spec your shed without windows. If you need a window buy a second hand UPVC one, dirt cheap off gumtree etc. Beef up the door frame with some 2x4/2x6, and the actual door too. Then you can add a couple of Mortice locks and a couple of Hinge Bolts for extra security too.
Good call on the Coach Bolts, used them on my shed for years & fingers crossed, no issues so far, but a determined thief will just rip the panels off.

What I have wondered is, is there any sort of tracker as used on cars that could be put inside frames etc & if not why not ?

Impractical maybe, easily found & removed ?

I dunno, answers on a postcard.

Top Bottom