"Bicycles only! Bicycles only" confrontation near Liverpool St today, I am a witness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
If anyone was chased by a motorbike out of the bike-only sliplane in Appold Street north of Liverpool St Station at about 17.50 today, I got a partial plate and have reported the motorbike rider to the police. I didn't see if he caught you/assaulted you but I was right beside you during the face-off. He also drove back past me. Let me know if you need a witness.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Oh my @Ganymede, are you OK?
Were you on your bike?

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks Pat, I was just walking past. I didn't feel threatened. Sorry for the late response, I was in a meeting. I don't suppose the cyclist will see this but the copper I spoke to said he'd take note and see if anything is reported. I don't actually know if anything worse occurred when the biker set off in pursuit, I hope not!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
That part of London does seem particularly bad for motorbikes using the ASZs to get a speedy getaway at the lights.
Well this guy in particular was an utter nobber and frankly shouldn't be on the road with that level of ill-governed temper. I suspect it will catch up with him eventually. He was in the wrong and couldn't stand being challenged on it *sigh*.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
That part of London does seem particularly bad for motorbikes using the ASZs to get a speedy getaway at the lights.
I do get irritated by bikers pushing into the ASL. One bloke once almost rode over my foot on the floor. On another occasion, the ASL was half it's size due to roadworks. So I'm at the front in a space barely big enough for two bicycles and hidden by WVM behind me when a chap on a whacking great motorbike with panniers, filtering, tried to squash into the ASL beside me. However, he had to go forwards, over the second white line and gave me a really black look through his open visor.
And don't get me started on moped riders.....:evil:. I have also been stopped from reaching an ASL before by...you guessed it...the space being full of motorbikes (seen plenty of that in the smoke). However, once did see a lone motorcyclist arrive in an ASL only to be completely surrounded by cyclists ^_^.

snorri

Legendary Member
ASLs are particularly useless and dangerous infrastructure for cycles. But they tick the planners’ box don’t they? You don’t see daft stuff like this in the NL.
But in NL you do share the cycle routes with broomfiets which is not good considering the speed differential:sad:.

captain nemo1701

But in NL you do share the cycle routes with broomfiets which is not good considering the speed differential:sad:.
Rapidly becoming a problem in Amsterdam and aren't the city going to ban them?. I've often thought it odd that the Netherlands, land of great cycling infrastructure, should allow them on cycle paths anyway.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't speak Dutch but I know "fiet" is "bike" so presumably a broomfiet is a bike that goes broom!
No, it's more of vroomvroom sound or that of a petrol chain-saw on rocket fuel:smile:.
Sorry I should have but in an explanation. It is a light motor bike, or can be similar to a Vespa scooter. Popular with younger people who frequently carry a passenger on the back. The speed appears to be restricted to two options, stationary and 'flat out'.

captain nemo1701

No, it's more of vroomvroom sound or that of a petrol chain-saw on rocket fuel:smile:.
Sorry I should have but in an explanation. It is a light motor bike, or can be similar to a Vespa scooter. Popular with younger people who frequently carry a passenger on the back. The speed appears to be restricted to two options, stationary and 'flat out'.
They also have the capacity to turn 360 degrees on a penny:smile:

Top Bottom