Bicygnals - lights and indicators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
They're rubbish - I was part of the focus group on the Gadget show about 18 months ago when these were tested. We thought that the idea in principle was good, but the finished product was awful. They were flimsy and didn't mount on some of the bikes. IIRC even when mounted correctly there was quite a bit of rocking up and down and we found that minor knocks or bumping off a step (to simulate a pothole) shifted the unit and it turned itself on twice due to accidental knocks.

Sadly the producers wouldn't let us say what we really thought of them on camera.

+1 for learning to use hand signals - drivers will notice them more.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Davidc said:
Learn to ride one handed, as recommended above. Drivers (those who look!) expect hand signals.

The only enhancement I use is hi-viz and reflective slap wraps on my wrists, and they're only a few pounds.

I can see much more sense in spending money on a mirror, as suggested by potsy. And ignore being laughed at whatever you do - it's your well being you're looking after.

+1 on the mirror.

This is advice I gave in a thread from another newish rider who was worried about cycling on the roads:

One of the things I found difficult initially with road riding was looking over my shoulder before making a manoeuvre. Sometimes if I looked and there was something there, I wobbled. Getting a mirror to stick on the end of my right handlebar helped enormously - I can keep an eye on what is behind me without having to twist right round.

This won't solve all your fright of the road, but it may help. However, having the mirror does not remove the need to look over your shoulder properly before pulling out/turning. But it does mean that you don't need to do that until you are fairly sure it is clear.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Mrs fry, promise us one thing... check with us before you spend your hard earned on anything :biggrin:

OK, you say you like these and you feel more confident with them BUT, in my opinion the lights are too close together to give a clear message to anyone. don't trust them

yes Ive looked at these (guy in Milton Keynes selling them) and yes they are a bit on the poor side when it comes to quality.

what you have to remember is that you are now doing serious miles with your equipment, you may do more miles in a month than most people do in a year, there fore you need to be buying things that can cope with the extra work, trust me, i have also learnt the hard way. somethings you can get away with buying on the cheap but others you have be be careful of.

OK, promise us one more thing... check with us before you spend your hard earned on anything :blush:

PS: how's the new bike ??

Top Bottom