Bicygnals - lights and indicators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
No thanks, saw one person in london using those, so pointless.
Your arm is so much bigger and as everyone else uses it, drivers are more accustomed to us indicating our intentions that way.

potsy

Rambler
Most useful thing I found when beginning was a bar-end mirror makes the riding much safer/easier.
D'ont think indicators will have a big following on tbh.
I get laughed at by some of my cycling colleagues for having mudguards and a mirror,can't imagine the stick I'd get with indicators too:biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Car drivers will not recognise these. So many cyclists have flashing rear lights anyway these days. They are a waste of time. Do yourself a favour. Learn to signal with your arms. That is what car drivers expect to see. If you do use these I would strongly recommend that you also use your arms to signal.

Yep, stick to using your arm - these 'indicators' would probably be ignored by most drivers as they look like flashing tail lights.

Also it says (in the blurb) they are not waterproof and the wireless connectivity may be lost due to interference.

I would rather spend the £44 on some decent lights and maybe some reflective wristbands.

With Potsy on the bar end mirrors & mudguards though !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:angry::biggrin::biggrin: Probs a bit of a balance problem with Potsy sitting on one end

andrew-the-tortoise said:
Yep, stick to using your arm - these 'indicators' would probably be ignored by most drivers as they look like flashing tail lights.

Also it says (in the blurb) they are not waterproof and the wireless connectivity may be lost due to interference.

I would rather spend the £44 on some decent lights and maybe some reflective wristbands.

With Potsy on the bar end mirrors & mudguards though !

GrasB

Veteran
I would suggest learning to ride one handed. Find a quiet car park or open space & simply ride about with only one hand on the handle bars, do this until you're comfortable. Once you are comfortable riding like that then try holding your arm out. The final progression is signalling & looking over your shoulder, though it seems daunting now if you slowly work up to doing this in time it'll become second nature.

potsy

Rambler
ianrauk said:
:angry::biggrin::biggrin: Probs a bit of a balance problem with Potsy sitting on one end
:laugh::biggrin:
GrasB said:
I would suggest learning to ride one handed. Find a quiet car park or open space & simply ride about with only one hand on the handle bars, do this until you're comfortable. Once you are comfortable riding like that then try holding your arm out. The final progression is signalling & looking over your shoulder, though it seems daunting now if you slowly work up to doing this in time it'll become second nature.
I still struggle a bit with wobbling when looking over the shoulder,that's the main reason I have the mirror on the 'shopper' toying with getting one on the road bike but fear of being laughed at just making me hold back-for now.
Must go out and practice one day instead of dreading every right turn:blush:

Norm

Good advice there.

I'd also think about where and when you are signalling.

I think most here would recommend not signalling for every junction, and only stick your arm out when it will be of benefit to you rather than other road users. This is because you are far safer with both hands on the bars and confidently going where you are going than you are waving an arm about.

For example, I was heading home this afternoon and needed to turn left from a main road into a cul-de-sac. There was a chap riding on the pavement towards me who would probably have just gone straight across the end of the road. I signalled left, though, and he slowed down to let me through (he got a cheery "thanks" in return :angry: ). I wouldn't usually signal a left turn as that can make cars behind try even harder to push through.

Defo find a quiet car park to practice, though. One hand and riding big figure of eights etc.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In my opinion if they arent waterproof they are useless, you will have to signal with your arms on wet days when these cant be used, so you have to learn to signal with your arms sooner or later. So the sooner the better.

Once you have a few miles down you will do it naturally, just like you will wipe sweat of your forehead, scratch your nose etc, imo it just comes with time, but taking to a car park or park like someone else mentioned could hurry along the process.

Davidc

Guru
Learn to ride one handed, as recommended above. Drivers (those who look!) expect hand signals.

The only enhancement I use is hi-viz and reflective slap wraps on my wrists, and they're only a few pounds.

I can see much more sense in spending money on a mirror, as suggested by potsy. And ignore being laughed at whatever you do - it's your well being you're looking after.

Top Bottom