Bidons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

How super!

I'm going to carry on saying, and indeed writing, bidon though. not only because of Its undoubted je ne sais quoi, but also because of the advantage of concise, clear meaning in situations where ambiguity may ensue otherwise.

That's fine. And I will continue to take the pi55 out of cycling pseuds who feel the need to use pompous foreign language terms for such mundane objects.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I sometimes wonder this - there must be a better design - whenever I get a mouthful of grit when riding, but the urge to do anything about it soon fades. I only have one bidon / cycling water bottle (delete as per pedantic taste) so when I get around to replacing it I'll certainly look for one with a cover for the mouthpiece.

400bhp

Guru
I sometimes wonder this - there must be a better design - whenever I get a mouthful of grit when riding, but the urge to do anything about it soon fades. I only have one bidon / cycling water bottle (delete as per pedantic taste) so when I get around to replacing it I'll certainly look for one with a cover for the mouthpiece.

Aye, +1. I wonder if manipulating the material would provide the answer? Some sort of anti bacterial coating (which, quite possibly, some might already have).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That's fine. And I will continue to take the pi55 out of cycling pseuds who feel the need to use pompous foreign language terms for such mundane objects.
Oh no! I was just going to potter along quietly doing it, as and when the situation suggested that it would make life easier all round.

/SAD TROMBONE

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Stop :stop: you shall not use the word bidon as bottle is more common and it does not originate in France. (although it does sound a bit like bouteille) :whistle:

but why can't I use it? lots of other people do. :blush:

because I said so, I am a more serious cyclist than you and I make the rules up so there :evil:

:rofl::o)

Last edited:

Jimidh

Veteran
I've never seen a bidon with a cover but you could always look out for sports water bottles or convert a suitably sized energy drinks bottle.

Personally I prefer using a camelpak when I'm riding trails for the very reason you mention and keep my bottles for the road bike.

As for the word bidon I would always say water bottle but I'm happy as a roadie hearing the continental terms used in our sport.

Citius

What's one of those?

cycling pseud = someone that says 'bidon' when they mean 'bottle' :smile:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've never seen a bidon with a cover but you could always look out for sports water bottles or convert a suitably sized energy drinks bottle.

Personally I prefer using a camelpak when I'm riding trails for the very reason you mention and keep my bottles for the road bike.

As for the word bidon I would always say water bottle but I'm happy as a roadie hearing the continental terms used in our sport.
Like the OP, I wouldn't mind getting a bidon with a top cover. A few of my favourite rides involve some unsealed paths, and the top of the bidons can get a bit dirty.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Some one in this thread is giving us welsh a bad name......and its not me.

I'll let people work out who that is......im off to fill my bidons ready for the commute to work tomorrow

Top Bottom