Bidons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Flamme rouge

Lantern rouge

Cote D'azur

echelon

Let's make a list:whistle:

im with citius on this one. i think the difference with the words and phrases youre now listing is, they dont have an existing english term that is suitable. whereas, bottle, in context of cycling, is obviously your water bottle, so using the french term is just pretentious.

it is like saying i am taking the voiture to work today, or have you taken the chien for a walk yet? ridiculeux.

there is nothing wrong with language absorbing other languages or cross pollinating, but using words you dont need to use is just trying to look clever unnecessarily.

bpsmith

Veteran
im with citius on this one. i think the difference with the words and phrases youre now listing is, they dont have an existing english term that is suitable. whereas, bottle, in context of cycling, is obviously your water bottle, so using the french term is just pretentious.

it is like saying i am taking the voiture to work today, or have you taken the chien for a walk yet? ridiculeux.

there is nothing wrong with language absorbing other languages or cross pollinating, but using words you dont need to use is just trying to look clever unnecessarily.
Where do cars and dogs come into it? We're talking about French words used in cycling. ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll stick with 'bottle'. I would be willing to bet that 80% of English-speaking cyclists would not know what a 'bidon' is.

Anyway, my first bidons bottles did have flip covers. I am not sure what I did with them (I have not seen them for years). I stopped using them because they were only 500 mL capacity and I use 750 mL SIS bottles now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PS If you are going to use foreign words, at least pronounce them properly! I have heard people call a gilet a gill-it, a faux pas a fox-pass, and so on ...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ive just got two new black coca cola ones with flippable lids from wiggle

As they are black you can hardly see the coca cola writing, but needed them to go with new bikes colour scheme.......they are also 750ml

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
PS If you are going to use foreign words, at least pronounce them properly! I have heard people call a gilet a gill-it, a faux pas a fox-pass, and so on ...
Surely these brave souls are the avant garde (pron: ay-vahnt gar-dee) of Anglicising these foreign words, prior to their incorporation into our fine English language.

Top Bottom