Biege Fiesta nutter - Ferry Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Had a complete nutter coming the other direction turn across me at a junction on Ferry Road last night. I was going straight on, he was coming the other way and turning right. The whole time as he screeched round in front of me, he was smirking and giving me the finger - rather indicative of the fact that he obviously decided that any cyclist in the way was to be completely ignored and knocked out of the way if possible. Once I'd finished emergency braking, I showed him the finger too as he was looking back at me.

Big mistake - he slammed on the brakes and attempted to do a u-turn to come after me. Fortunately there was a queue of traffic in the other lane so he couldn't get round, but I have honestly never seem such an expression of hatred and rage in someone's face as I did when he saw my reaction. Kind of put me off cycling today, as not only had I the fright of this idiot almost mowing me down, but then he looked like he was going to come back and try and finish the job off.

I'm ordering the helmet mount for my as-yet unused helmet-cam now....

However, after a day's reflection I've decided he was just the usual stereotypical, anti-cycling road-rager who doubtless chases other car drivers as well if they dare to annoy him so I'll be back on the bike tomorrow. I love cycling and I'm not going to let the odd psycho spoil it.

Wolf04

What an absolute tosser! Glad your OK Goo.

catwoman

Sounds nasty. Bad luck for crossing paths with him. Incidents like that have happened to me, usually in the run-up to Christmas, I usually have one per annum.
Just seethe for a while then put it to the back of your mind, it's not worth it. And you are right to not let a tosser like that get the better off you. We (cyclists) are better than that. :ohmy:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

HLaB said:
Sounds like a nutter goo:angry:, have a virtual cuppa and forget about him.

I hate Ferry Road, especially at Crewe Toll and only cycle regularly the stretch between Inverleith Row and Granton Road.

Ta ! The junction where it happened was the Granton Road one - hope you never meet this guy.

I don't mind Ferry Road or Crewe Toll to be honest. I come on from Great Junction Street, and exit Crewe Toll at the other end to go up Telford Road in the morning and the other way home at night. At first it was a bit hairy as I wasn't used to being in traffic (especially at evening rush hour), but it didn't take long to acclimatise and remember where the worst pot-holes are ! The worst thing that usually happens to me on Ferry Road are the cars who try and block the cycle lane to stop me getting by when there are queues, or close overtakers. I actually enjoy it because it's long, pretty straight and allows me to get up some speed and stay up with the traffic.

Roll on tomorrow - the wind is due to change direction so there'll be no headwind coming home for the first time in about 2 months :ohmy:

Maz

Guru
Glad you're OK, goo. Sounds really bad. Good on you for not letting the bastads get you down.

I got the finger from some White Van twunt yesterday. He was gesturing and allsorts before giving the finger...I did absolutely nothing to provoke him. 'Kin git. Always best to let it go, IMHO.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Maz said:
Glad you're OK, goo. Sounds really bad. Good on you for not letting the bastads get you down.

I got the finger from some White Van twunt yesterday. He was gesturing and allsorts before giving the finger...I did absolutely nothing to provoke him. 'Kin git. Always best to let it go, IMHO.

My mate at work who also cycles (he does Triathlons and Sportives) was commiserating. It's usually him that gets the abuse and attempted violence - his 3 mile commutes are pretty eventful. His latest was a British Gas van who pulled out on him from a side street, and then the driver proceeded to abuse him as though it was his fault. He got out of his van and threatened to deck him too ! My mate's a gentle, quiet-spoken guy - he was pretty shaken up and was on the verge of giving up commuting after that. Thankfully he didn't.

Glad you're OK too, Maz. And yes, I think I'll do no more gesturing back if it makes the nutters worse. After all, it might not be me that gets the brunt of that fury - it may be the next cyclist he catches along his route.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Unlucky Goo, glad you're ok.

The thing is he probably drives like that all day every day, putting countless lives at risk.
Car's probably very unsafe, untaxed and uninsured, and he most probably has a baseball bat in it.
He must have a pretty crappy life.

Plax

Guru
Bad luck Goo, hopefully that'll be the last for a long while.
If it's any consolation he probably has high blood pressure and an increased probability of having a coronary!

Animal

Don't be scared.

If they get out, stand behind your bike.

If they make to attack you, just step backwards and allow your bike to fall. These people are soo thick and out of touch with their bodies that 99% of the time they'll just step into it, stumble and fall at your feet.

Whereupon a powerful kick in the face with plastic-strapped Sidis will discourage any further interaction.

Top Bottom