Big G 2011 (Saturday, July 30th)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
http://www.thisishul...il/article.html

BRITAIN'S elite cyclists are set to sprint through the streets of Beverley in an event which is hoped will bring £500,000 to the town.

Thousands of spectators will line the streets next year as the 2011 British Cycling National Circuit Race Championships returns for the fourth consecutive year.

Revealed exclusively to the Mail by the event's media chief, Michael Boyle, it will take the same format as this year's.

The championships will return on Friday, July 29, and will see Britain's top riders speed around the town for 70 minutes.

This will be followed by the Big G sportive event on Saturday, July 30, with riders choosing from three scenic routes around the Yorkshire Wolds.

The weekend concludes on the Sunday with top racers taking part in the 98-mile East Yorkshire Classic. Once again the event will be covered by satellite TV channel Eurosport.

Mr Boyle said: "It is phenomenal. "Getting this event four years in a row has never happened before in a town or city.

"It is hoped Olympic gold medallist Ed Clancy will be back to try to retain his title.

"This year there were more than 5,000 spectators lining the streets on the Friday."

The event is organised by the Hull Thursday Road Club. It is one of a whole host of events which is turning Beverley into an all-year festival town - alongside Beverley Folk Festival, Literature Festival and the Early Music Festival.

Mr Boyle, who is also a member of the local renaissance partnership, said: "The cycle race is a huge boost to the area, and is one of many events which is making Beverley an all-year festival town.

"We have the food festival and the festival of Christmas - which this year boasts 100 stalls - more than ever before."

East Riding Council's director of planning and regeneration Alan Menzies said: "It's superb news.

"It's a major event and it's remarkable Beverley will be hosting the event for the fourth consecutive year. It is unheard of.

"It is a major boost, with the town receiving a lot of publicity.

"It is one of many events which takes place throughout the year in the town, giving visitors the opportunity to see the town."

PS ; Does anyone fancy a night ride (to the pub) this month - weekday though not Wednesday?

zacklaws

Guru
Just for an update on this cycling weekend, I heard today on the club ride that the Sportive, "The Big G" on the Saturday may not be happening. I will probably find out and be able to confirm it next Sunday when I see some of the members of the Hull Thursday RC who organises the Big G.

Shaun

Founder
I'd like to have a go this year as I missed the last two - so let us know if it's on or not?

Thanks,
Shaun :biggrin:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Just for an update on this cycling weekend, I heard today on the club ride that the Sportive, "The Big G" on the Saturday may not be happening. I will probably find out and be able to confirm it next Sunday when I see some of the members of the Hull Thursday RC who organises the Big G.

Nooo! I was really looking forward to it.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

If not (or hopefully both) did you see this http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/ .... STOP PRESS - POSSIBLE YORK TO HULL VIA SCUNTHORPE AND THE HUMBER BRIDGE 9TH SEPTEMBER 2011

It's a bit late though - I suppose we could always find another 'sportive' outside east yorkshire (shudders) or just follow the route of last year on the planned date as a CC massive?

zacklaws

Guru
I've entered the Lincoln Grand Prix, 98 miles in May, but I also discovered yesterday night that the Clifton CC in York has organised a sportive with 3 distances from Pocklington, the last weekend of April. But I can find no details at present on the Clifton CC website but it is listed on the British Cycling website which advertises all details to be found on the Clifton CC website.

http://www.britishcy...Pedal-Challenge

I've found the entry forms but it must be popular, only one person to date has entered:-

http://demo.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=498

zacklaws

Guru
Just to squash all rumours that were going round, "The Big G" will be held as usual but organised by someone else instead of Paul Kilvington.

Sambu

Yay!!!

zacklaws

Guru
Okay, okay ... better get some miles in then <cripes!!!!!> :ohmy:

And don't forget some hills too!

Plus if anyone fancies a ride, who has not done it before or has, round last years course to see what they are letting themselves in for let me know. I've promised my self never to do it again until the actual day as I hate the route that much, with doing it that many times, but if anyone fancies it let me know and we'll have a steady ride round. I live only about 400 yds from the start line and room up my drive for another car or two if you don't live local. I'm free Weds and Thurs this week, and next Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday, hopefully unless I do a club run if its longer than the "Big G"

Anyway I'm doing a fifty plus miler today, to go and have a look at that hill at Acklam, I've heard its worse than Nunburnholme and all the others on "the Big G", plus its the worst in the area..

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

latest news

Dear Riders<BR clear=all>
I am pleased to announce that the BIg G 2011 will definitely be running this year on the above date as part of a weekend of cycling in the historic town of Beverley

Although I am unable to undertake the role of event organiser this year due to other personal commitments at home, I will still be involved in the event and will be helping new organiser John Ullyatt ensure that it the same quality event that riders have enjoyed for the last 3 years.

Over the coming weeks John will take over the administrative duties but for the time being I am dealing with any queries. The website will be updated very shortly and I would anticipate that entries will open sometime in March via an electronic on line entry system

I am sure that the event will sell out quickly so I will ensure that all last years entrants are advised by email before the entries open

Looking forward to seeing you all again

Kind Regards

Paul

Paul Kilvington
Big G Cyclosportive 2010
Event Organiser

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/index.aspx
http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Top Bottom