Big G 2011 (Saturday, July 30th)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Just entered for the 100k. Tempted by the 160k but I think it would do me good to try for a fast time rather than distance. It'll be a nice incentive for Admin. He wouldn't want to be beaten by a girl :tongue:.

By the time I get to the top of that bloody hill I won't care ... :laugh:

It'll be good to catch up with everyone ... you've been on quite an adventure since we last saw you ... bet you're fit as a fiddle now after all those miles?

I've got a massive load of work to do to get fit, but I'm going to give it my best shot and see if I can't get rid of a good chunk of my newly acquired lumps and bumps before the end of July.

Just don't anyone wave a biscuit near me on the day or I'll have your bloody hand off ... :ohmy:

Shaun

Founder
Wahey ... a good few of the East Yorks crew coming then!!! :smile:

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Practiced 'hills' today on the Newbald circuit *, went up 'Trundlegate' slightly lungbusting for the first bit, then riding back down to Walkington is a pleasure, then back to Westwood, then I rode the extra 8 miles home.

Mrs craigwend & her friend also did the circuit before me, as they are doing the 100k as well :biggrin:

* http://www.gmap-pedo....com/?r=4301086

Ride slighlty spoilt by loosing my computer on the drive there, slightly embarrassed finding it at home on a shelf whe I got back :blush:

Shaun

Founder
I think I might need to have a go at this monster hill before the ride ... just so I know what I'm letting myself in for!! :whistle:

Whereabouts is it?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Diet and training started ... I've nearly done a whole week of going without chocs, sweets or ice cream (the East Yorks Posse will know about what a big deal that is for me and my sweet tooth!!! :tongue: ).

How did it work last year - did everyone set off at roughly the same time?

Cheers,

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Diet and training started ... I've nearly done a whole week of going without chocs, sweets or ice cream (the East Yorks Posse will know about what a big deal that is for me and my sweet tooth!!! :tongue: ).

How did it work last year - did everyone set off at roughly the same time?

Cheers,

3770205834_e5361ac027_m.jpg

I'm sure this year will be a very uncritical-mass-pootle

MrsCraigwend & friend ( a few others from the village) are doing the 100k, their first year too.
I'm just aiming to enjoy the company, ride & scenery after my 'attempt' at the 160 last year.

Normally we all set off roughly the same time.

Shaun

Founder
3770205834_e5361ac027_m.jpg

I'm sure this year will be a very uncritical-mass-pootle

MrsCraigwend & friend ( a few others from the village) are doing the 100k, their first year too.
I'm just aiming to enjoy the company, ride & scenery after my 'attempt' at the 160 last year.

Normally we all set off roughly the same time.

I recognise that fine looking fellow ... :biggrin:

A "all start off together pootle" sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hey all. I think I'm going to pull out. I'm just not as fit as I was last year, I didn't finish the Tan Hill YACF ride yesterday, and bailed before the hilly bit started - just the little climb before Scotch Corner was enough to tell me that was the right choice. :unsure: My pace is right down to 'pootle', and that's no fun on a sportive with all the sporty types whizzing by, and no conversation.

Add in a social invitation that's come up, and my first thought was "oh good, a way out..."

Never mind, there'll be more cake left at the controls for you all.

Any one got any idea if I can get a refund? It's not my prime concern, but I suppose I should email them to pull out, in case anyone is waiting for a place.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

I don't think you can get a refund; though I think you can transfer your 'place' (did admin do this last year?) & possibly get compmensation from the person who tkaes your place??

I wouldn't worry about pootling etc, I think this year will be apootle for me after last years 'go at it'.

I'm planning on a more leisurely pace, as a good few from 'our village' are going, including mrs-craigwend & friend on the very first sportive / oganised ride of any type, both doing this on flat bar hybrids - with 38c tyres

Mention it on the 'sportive thread' as well if you are trying to 'offload it', I think there was a thread a few months ago if you search?

Shaun

Founder
A pootle will suit me just fine ... phew!!!!

Despite managing to lose some weight, I'm still not as fit as I was a couple of years ago - so whilst I'm willing to get stuck in, I think it'll be a personal triumph just to be able to finish.

Arch - I may have a taker for your place - I've just sent him a txt and will let you know if he's interested.

Cheers,

Shaun

Founder
Arch - I may have a taker for your place - I've just sent him a txt and will let you know if he's interested.

Unfortunately he's not up for it. Sorry.

If I hear of anyone who wants one I'll PM you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Unfortunately he's not up for it. Sorry.

If I hear of anyone who wants one I'll PM you.

Cheers. I haven't got round to doing anything about it - I'll get onto it next week when I'm back home. Not that I'm online any the less over here on holiday!

Top Bottom