Big Shops re-opening today. Anyone going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I need to get something fixed for SWMBO so will do this week - but at a small, local shop. Otherwise, no.

I've been into my closest two towns for items in the 'essential' shops and most people are now keeping space. Given the cultural diversity in one of them many women have partial/full face covering anyway and they're the ones doing the shopping.

My local car boot sale, which I don't go to much, was open from last week. Stalls, cash only, people close ... :eek:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Nope. I'll be washing my hair.
Why dont you wash your y fronts while you are at it. They are due to be changed July 1st anyway if I recall correctly.

Mike_P

Guru
Crazy interview with a shop owner on 5 Live this morning. Got stock sat on the shop for 3 months so will have to flog it off at prices that normally only make a small margin and then can only serve around a third of the normal custom....well sell it normal price then, it's not as if anyone could have bought in the last three months. Bit like pubs etc complaining that at 2m distancing it's not viable and at 1m still for many not viable; a simple application of economics then and put prices up then and appropriate advertising of social distancing on force which would attract people concerned at anything less than 2m regardless of price.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would bet money that the shops will be busy. Some people are just that desperate to go into the shops. Good luck to them, but I'm staying away for at least another 6 months. Discounts will be few and far between. I only got discounts online because I bought "winter" clothes, but nice trousers do not look out of place anywhere apart from the beach, and they'll always come for when it gets colder. Buy when it's cheap, wear it when you need it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Fortunately there is nothing we need enough to get in those queues.
I dont like shopping** at the best of times so won't go near them as things are.
**if I need eg a pair of trainers I go to those shops, buy them and go home. I cannot understand people that go to town just to browse.
I may be wrong but is it more of a woman thing?
Nope, I hate physical shopping. Apart from popping round to my local supermarket, all other shopping is done online.

D

Deleted member 26715

I may be wrong but is it more of a woman thing?
Fraid so I think, I know several men who are happy to spend an afternoon in Meadowhell, or at least they used to.
I don't. All scientific evidence (even from Boris's effin "scientists") seems to say that the 2 metre rule is way over the top.
Agreed, but he is playing to the lowest mentality, if he says 2M then theres a good chance most may keep 1M apart, if he says 1M they will be rubbing shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
No you can't blame them if they are desperate for clothes. but I would argue that very few people are actually desperate for clothes. I know we were encouraged to spend it kick-start the economy again but I think the risks still outweigh the benefits

D

Deleted member 26715

Given the necessity for McD's and KFC when they opened, I reckon the shops will be rammed today.
LOL I had t go to Wickes on Saturday, loaded up & was driving back, on route is a MacD's I quite like their Sausage & Egg McDoobry, so went to pull into the drive thru only to find they weren't open, I wondered why there wasn't a queue.

Julia9054

Guru
The advantage of physically going to a clothes shop is being able to try things on. Since we still won't be able to do that, I'll stick to buying online for the time being

Top Bottom