BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Now I've used the profile views on the P key and think it is a good way to fool yourself into thinking you don't have that far to go :thumbsup: :whistle:. Is it possible to add the length remaining at that gradient and also the next gradient?

The zoomed in view is not too bad at showing the changes coming up but distances have to be guessed. Knowing when you are coming up to a big transition can help you gauge the effort you want to maintain for the remainder of that section. It's not essential just asking fo the cherry on top :okay:

ibooij

Über Member
Now I've used the profile views on the P key and think it is a good way to fool yourself into thinking you don't have that far to go :thumbsup: :whistle:. Is it possible to add the length remaining at that gradient and also the next gradient?

We don't really have "a next gradient" as the gradient changes all the time. We must be able to find some good solution for this kind of thing. Maybe something like waypoints or a profile view that uses time (at current power) instead of distance. Interesting..

We don't really have "a next gradient" as the gradient changes all the time. We must be able to find some good solution for this kind of thing. Maybe something like waypoints or a profile view that uses time (at current power) instead of distance. Interesting..
If you have pressed the "P" twice then you have both the gradient info for the whole ride on the left half of the screen and the zoomed in gradient on the right. The LH side lets you see what the you have to overcome across the whole ride and the RH side gives you a good picture of what is going to hit you very soon, therefore stopping any hidden surprises.
Perhaps I haven't understood theboxers point properly.

theboxers

If you have pressed the "P" twice then you have both the gradient info for the whole ride on the left half of the screen and the zoomed in gradient on the right. The LH side lets you see what the you have to overcome across the whole ride and the RH side gives you a good picture of what is going to hit you very soon, therefore stopping any hidden surprises.
Perhaps I haven't understood theboxers point properly.
I have used these views today and they work fairly well.

It may be because I am used to the bkool presentation of this info. On many of the climbs, on bkool, there are quick, significant, gradient changes both up and down. Sometimes 4%+ differences. When trying to gauge the benefit of keeping going at my present effort level the distance countdown is very helpful.

BRVR is finer in the gradient changes, on the rides I've done. So it may be less of a benefit to have this info. I thought if the info is there, and easily interogated, it could be displayed. However if there is the need for additional computation, to interpret and display it, that may slow the system down don't worry about it on my behalf. As I said cherry on top :mrpig:

Last edited:

theboxers

Well that's Fern Pass to Neuschwanstein done :bicycle::boxing::B). A lot of both up and down. But quite a bit of the down was very shallow slopes. I had to keep pedaling to keep the speed up :blink:. Best workout for a descent in a long time :unsure:.

The more I do on BRVR, the more I regret starting the sessions :whistle:. You just keep going because the transitions and video are so much better than bkool. I start out thinking of doing 30 to 60 minutes of sessions and end up doing a total of 90 or 2 hours over the 2 platforms.

I need to start doing selected portions of the rides. I'll burn myself out otherwise.

Keep up the great work. :notworthy:

theboxers

Probably the one further suggestion I'd make at this time for BVR is warm up/cool down options. They don't have to be terribly complex.
I do a cool downs on one of the many long descents on bkool. No power just a spin down over 10-20 minutes depending on the length of the session. I'd do the same on a selected downhill section on BRVR 10k @ > -6% is about 10 minutes but I've not really looked at all of the rides (something for me to investigate :thumbsup:).

A 10 minute warm up that you can breakout of (similar to the way you stop a normal ride) to start a ride would be good :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

martin22

Loving BRVR, videos so much better than Bkool. Some tough ones though, did Colle Della Fauniera last night and it broke me, hadnt had much tea and bonked towards the top so was crawling along watching the distance to go slowly count down. Luckily the amazing scenery towards the top of the pass kept me going.

One suggestion i've got would be to allow download of the videos (but only playable in the app if you have an active subscription when the software becomes chargeable.) . One of the big selling points of BRVR is its high quality videos and sometimes with the 1080 videos on my broadband i get the buffer low message (eg if my wife is also streaming a film or something) and occasionally the video has stopped. Not ideal halfway up a climb that you cant really restart. I often pick a ride in advance so would be great if i could start downloading this when i get home from work knowing i wouldnt have to rely on streaming it.

I could just use the 720 setting, but i have it connected to a big TV and the 1080 makes quite a difference.

JLaw

Veteran
Loving BRVR, videos so much better than Bkool. Some tough ones though, did Colle Della Fauniera last night and it broke me, hadnt had much tea and bonked towards the top so was crawling along watching the distance to go slowly count down. Luckily the amazing scenery towards the top of the pass kept me going.

One suggestion i've got would be to allow download of the videos (but only playable in the app if you have an active subscription when the software becomes chargeable.) . One of the big selling points of BRVR is its high quality videos and sometimes with the 1080 videos on my broadband i get the buffer low message (eg if my wife is also streaming a film or something) and occasionally the video has stopped. Not ideal halfway up a climb that you cant really restart. I often pick a ride in advance so would be great if i could start downloading this when i get home from work knowing i wouldnt have to rely on streaming it.

I could just use the 720 setting, but i have it connected to a big TV and the 1080 makes quite a difference.
I'm mostly interested in re-running local rides, but I'd certainly echo the above suggestion. There's certain cases where it'd be amazingly useful to me -- in particular when we're up at our vacation house which has tin-cans and a limp string for an internet connection. I could download the ride prior to heading up there and still be able to do a high quality video ride.

ibooij

Über Member
Pre-loading for videos is certainly something we're aiming for for the next trainer season. We haven't completely thought it out yet, but we think you'd still have to be online when playing the video but would not use a significant amount of bandwidth once the video is downloaded. We have to find a way to make this as convenient as possible while still being able to protect our content.

And agreed, the 1080p content is so much nicer :-)

theboxers

2 more done today. St. Moritz and Georgetown (I know the easy ones :whistle:). Planned on stopping @ 6km in the Georgetown one (2nd Video) but carried on to the finish. You start these and end up doing way more than you intended :surrender:.

Another 7.5km of Pikes Peak planned for tomorrow. :boxing::B):boxing::blink::B):boxing::surrender:.

2 more done today. St. Moritz and Georgetown (I know the easy ones :whistle:). Planned on stopping @ 6km in the Georgetown one (2nd Video) but carried on to the finish. You start these and end up doing way more than you intended :surrender:.

Another 7.5km of Pikes Peak planned for tomorrow. :boxing::B):boxing::blink::B):boxing::surrender:.
If you want a short one try Magnolia..... a bit steep though (I did it today).:wacko:

theboxers

If you want a short one try Magnolia..... a bit steep though (I did it today).:wacko:
:eek: For me that'll be a 1 hr 30 :bicycle: :surrender:. I will attempt it but not today :wacko:.

There are a few relatively short rides, 5-10 miles, that I will be doing. Most of them are in the steeper than most list :crazy:.

I like, :unsure:, the fact that I am given a speed based on my power/weight (like bkool used to do when climbing). Yeah I get hammered on that, but at least the times are more realistic :laugh:.

theboxers

I've just looked up the Pikes Peak internatiional hill climb distance, 19.99km. I've done 10km of the ride on BRVR so what I have left is essentilly the hill climb distance. The record, currently, is 8min 14sec by Seb Loeb. I expect to take about 2hr 30m :laugh:.

Top Bottom