BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Interesting! I've always had opposite impression, namely that Bkool shows way too high watt readings on inclines. I use Bkool Pro though, don'tknow if that makes a difference.

I think experience and consensus is the pro gives bonkers high readings on flat , less so as incline pitches up but that the classic is more accurate. It is a subject of continual discussion on the Zwift riders FB page. Fwiw it's worth I am faster than I was on my pro the steeper the incline meaning faster up Watopia but still a little slower up box hill. On the mall sprint I am 1 second slower on the NEO but the pro showed 1350w! And the NEO 600w.

I think experience and consensus is the pro gives bonkers high readings on flat , less so as incline pitches up but that the classic is more accurate. It is a subject of continual discussion on the Zwift riders FB page. Fwiw it's worth I am faster than I was on my pro the steeper the incline meaning faster up Watopia but still a little slower up box hill. On the mall sprint I am 1 second slower on the NEO but the pro showed 1350w! And the NEO 600w.
How about when you use BigRingVR Bob?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Grimsel Pass from Handeck tonight. I found this pretty relentless and very challenging for the first 7 or so miles, the downhill at the end was very welcome and good fun too, going round the hairpins touching 40mph is quite hair raising. Felt sorry for the fella at the bottom of the climb fixing his puncture and have to say I thought there was a couple of very dodgy overtakes from our driver. Stunning scenery as ever and again, as ever, got a real sense of the increase in the gradients. Some cyclists on the route which I do think adds to the interest although having done Costa Brava I personally think it's nice to have the option to ride through some civilization too, I'm not sure there's too many options for this on BigRing.

ibooij

Über Member
@Mugshot We'll get more rides in "civilization" as we'll be recording in a few more places during the coming months. Last summer, we chose the Alps as our location. We had to start somewhere and we love those long climbs.
The feel on the Spanish rides recorded in March is pretty different from those Alpine ones, shorter climbs, more villages, different colours.
We will be trying to get many different types of ride.

And yes, the overtakes in the first part of that Grimsel video were pretty sketchy. We had some bad luck with the traffic that day but wanted to keep the speed a bit even. In hindsight it might have been a better idea to start over..

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've noticed that pressing P changes the elevation view, showing the whole ride, a zoomed in version (my preferred option) and another which splits the evelvation and seems to show a second black marker (I could be wrong on this due to my eyes being full of sweat) what's the second black marker?
Is there a list of hot keys around that I've managed to miss?
@ibooij I look forward to seeing everything you've got planned, the scenery and video quality is spectacular and very very well done, personally though I just find it nice to see some other bits and bobs sometimes, other riders, villages that kind of thing, however I should probably point out that this is absolutely not a criticism, just musings.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Is it posible to be add, to the software, the ability to search the rides by distance, difficulty (fiets score?) and possibly by country as well (like the web site). Looking at some of the rides (for me 95%) it can be a bit intimidating trying to work out which ones or which sections to attempt :eek:.

ibooij

Über Member
@Mugshot When using the split view, you should see two black markers, one in the overall view and one in the zoomed view. If you choose competitors you'll see them in both profiles as well. Thanks for giving your opinion on scenery. It's very valuable for us to get this kind of feedback.

@theboxers We will add searching to the application. The list of rides is getting pretty long so a search function will be very useful.

@Mugshot When using the split view, you should see two black markers, one in the overall view and one in the zoomed view. If you choose competitors you'll see them in both profiles as well. Thanks for giving your opinion on scenery. It's very valuable for us to get this kind of feedback.

@theboxers We will add searching to the application. The list of rides is getting pretty long so a search function will be very useful.
Ilja, Not sure if you want us to post suggestions here but just one thing from me. I'd find it useful to be able to have a keyboard key assigned that creates Laps.
There are quite a lot of climbs where after a tough ascent there is then a descent (from short to medium length). I tend to back off on the downhills and use them as a sort of warm down but I'd like to be able see see my data - HR, Power etc on the actual climb - on Strava or somewhere else without the "hard work" figures being diluted. Hope that makes sense.

@MasterDabber That seems doable. We should be able to put "laps" in the TCX file. That TCX file is also what gets uploaded to Strava. For lap functionality, it might be good to use a key that's easily reached, like the space bar, right?
That sounds great... I'm usually looking for the oxygen mask when I (eventually) get to the top so something easy to reach would be great. Thanks...

@MasterDabber This is not at the top of the todo-list, so it might take some time before we implement it.

First I'll be taking a couple of days off in Barcelona with the family. Without a bike.. The horror!
No problem, just good to know you're even considering it.
Have a great time in Barcelona... a nice city (although I've only ever been there for work). A few days off the bike then back to Magnolia.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Pikes Peak is a nice ride :headshake:. Owing to my own limitations (low power :bicycle:) and self afflicted impediments (high weight :mrpig:) I'm having to split it up into, possibly, 3 or 4 rides. I've done the first 10km only 20 to go :eek:.

As always on the rides I've attempted on BRVR, good transitions on gradient :B) and video that is superb :thumbsup:.

Top Bottom