BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Anyway ! When are we all going for a jaunt up a mountain !
TT is sorting it out i think he's pretty busy at the minute

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Yes sorry I’m officially cr@p.... But in my defence I gave up on computer consoles when they started adding more than two buttons to the controllers! :crazy:

I am a bit busy at the moment. Away this weekend, long days at work for a while and then going to Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks so I’m not sure I’m going to administer a league to be honest. Not until early March. I am going to do at least one hill climb a week though, so maybe just start by picking a route and we can all put our times up here? Maybe roll that over for a few weeks before we start a proper league?

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Col Du Portalet (North Side) 1:53:20 :whistle:
Col Du Portalet (South Side) 0:48:31 :whistle:

Actually, would it not be a better idea to create a separate thread for each of the chosen climbs in the BRVR Goats League, and then we can post our times in the relevant thread?? Otherwise everything is going to get lost in this monster thread.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Yes sorry I’m officially cr@p.... But in my defence I gave up on computer consoles when they started adding more than two buttons to the controllers! :crazy:

I am a bit busy at the moment. Away this weekend, long days at work for a while and then going to Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks so I’m not sure I’m going to administer a league to be honest. Not until early March. I am going to do at least one hill climb a week though, so maybe just start by picking a route and we can all put our times up here? Maybe roll that over for a few weeks before we start a proper league?
Sri Lanka ... nice! Went there a few years ago. Beautiful country that positively encouraged me to have a curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner :hungry: You doing a tour? If so, and heading to Sigaria Rock, be prepared for the absolutely terrifying climb to the top :eek:

bobinski

Legendary Member
My eldest is off to Sri Lanka tomorrow to spend up to a year working at an Elephant sanctuary in mawamella near Colombo. He was there for a short while last year and is looking forward most to the Curries:hungry:

Whorty

My eldest is off to Sri Lanka tomorrow to spend up to a year working at an Elephant sanctuary in mawamella near Colombo. He was there for a short while last year and is looking forward most to the Curries:hungry:
Been to that sanctuary ... a few years ago now but enjoyed it at the time. Hope your son has a superb time over there :okay:

full.jpg

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sri Lanka ... nice! Went there a few years ago. Beautiful country that positively encouraged me to have a curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner :hungry: You doing a tour? If so, and heading to Sigaria Rock, be prepared for the absolutely terrifying climb to the top :eek:

I’m really looking forward to it. I managed to persuade the missus it would be more fun than the beach resort type holiday in the Caribbean we originally planned for her birthday. Fair play she didn’t really need much convincing. We both get bored quite quickly plonked on a beach and it’s not like you can really even get into a book while trying to entertain a four year old. So the compromise is a bit of both. We’re staying in quite a nice looking resort a bit north of Colombo so we can do a bit of mooching, but plan to travel up and down the coast in both directions too. By pure coincidence a good friend of mine who’s Sri lanken is over there for a cousins wedding so we’re getting a personal tour guide for a few days and going to a local wedding!

The elephant sanctuary is on the list. Very funny coincidence your son being there at the same time Bob. Sounds like a great way to spend a few months to me.

bobinski

Legendary Member
You could spook him by saying or doing something that mentions his dad :laugh:

:biggrin:

Whorty and Tommy, Mysz isn’t going to that one. The business of Elephant sanctuary is far more complex than I ever imagined. The larger sanctuaries have a huge role in saving elephants. Quite often they have to purchase or lease the elephant from its owner in order to protect them.Mysz will be working with a guy who has borrowed a significant sum to lease elephants from their worker owners in order to save them from their appalling working conditions. They will offer live in volunteer work at the project to European volunteers, conservation students etc. to subsidise the costs of the project. It’s small scale in comparison to those larger sanctuaries. Tommy sounds like you will have a great time. But, if you and the family fancy living in a dorm and shovelling elephant poo for a few days let me know and I will put you in touch:biggrin:

Last edited:

Whorty

:biggrin:

Whorty and Tommy, Mysz isn’t going to that one. The business of Elephant sanctuary is far more complex than I ever imagined. The larger sanctuaries have a huge role in saving elephants. Quite often they have to purchase or lease the elephant from its owner in order to protect them.Mysz will be working with a guy who has borrowed a significant sum to lease elephants from their worker owners in order to save them from their appalling working conditions. They will offer live in volunteer work at the project to European volunteers, conservation students etc. to subsidise the costs of the project. It’s small scale in comparison to those larger sanctuaries. Tommy sounds like you will have a great time. But, if you and the family fancy living in a dorm and shovelling elephant poo for a few days let me know and I will put you in touch:biggrin:
Ah, fair enough. You have raised a good point though and I was going to say to @TurboTommy that when you're on your beach resort and you have elephants being taken up and down the beach for tourists to have a ride then please refuse. These elephants are treated appallingly and it is this trade (amongst others) that results in the need for the elephant sanctuaries.

And Tommy, if you do get a chance to go to Yala national park then take it - highest concentration of leopards anywhere in the world and other great wildlife - be an amazing day out if that's your bag.

Top Bottom