BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
1 a week is a good idea any more then it can get a bit difficult time wise, are we going to have an epic such as long and hard or keep it simple with similar length rides
Keep it to the shorter ones. As I will be averaging 6-8kmh, on the steeper routes, the longer harder climbs are going to be hours long for me. Up to about 12k will be good for me :bicycle::okay:

Last edited:

martin22

Is it the graphics card or cpu that does most of the work for bigring 1080HD videos?

Looking at getting a 2nd hand i5-3470 desktop, would i need to add a seperate graphics card as well? Or should I look for a more recent CPU?

Re the league mentioned above, I'd be interested in that too!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Is it the graphics card or cpu that does most of the work for bigring 1080HD videos?

Looking at getting a 2nd hand i5-3470 desktop, would i need to add a seperate graphics card as well? Or should I look for a more recent CPU?

Re the league mentioned above, I'd be interested in that too!
I'm using an intel nuc i5 with hd4000 on board graphics. No issues with bkool or BRVR. Not tried zwift.

bobinski

Legendary Member
1 a week is a good idea any more then it can get a bit difficult time wise, are we going to have an epic such as long and hard or keep it simple with similar length rides

Its got to be longer than the KOM on Watopia (not including the Tower-another 7-8min) so 30min at a steady 180w for me, to be worthwhile. So, 1h to an hour 15 min? Possibly longer?

ibooij

Über Member

bobinski

Legendary Member

I like the look of both of those. A little bit more challenging than the Watopia KOM and Tower. Sugarloaf allows a bit of warm up before pitching close to 10% on average after 3km. Magnolia has 2 bits where you get some respite and then ramps up again. Being able to see watts and w/kg for people riding it gives a pretty good indication of a time to aim for. They will hurt. If those watts etc are accurate then Lee and Dean will get up Magnolia in 4o min or less, Sugar loaf in just under 35 min, possibly less.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I think average ride should be around an hour. A little less or a little more, depending on how much of a hurry you are in :smile:. I don’t suppose I’ll be looking at stages with much less than a 7% gradient.

My preference is for there to be no time limit on the league. I.e, one continuous league which we add a new course to every week for the next few months. This way it’s as competitive as you choose it to be. You can compare your times to other people to set yourself targets. Or just try and complete all the stages. Nothing too serious. The only downside of this I can think of is that if people join the league late they’ll have some catching up to do. So maybe we can make it a rolling league and have a re think later down the road?

When you’ve completed a stage you can add it to the spreadsheet yourself or get assistance if needed. Maybe at the end of each week we can total up people’s times to create a leader board for people who have completed all the stages up until that point.

If you don’t want to complete all the stages, or don’t want to complete them in the order they are set at. Then don’t let that put you off. Just do the ones you fancy doing.

Going up hills can be competitive if you let it but it’s more a battle vs yourself. So it’s more about you’re own targets with a bit of banter thrown in for motivation. I’d rather make it fun before competitive!

How does that sound?

ibooij

Über Member
Ilja, I see you hold 1st place on Sugarloaf. 318w/4.39w average is pretty bloody impressive.

Thanks, I was probably pretty painful. Climbs of about 30 minutes are my sweet spot. I often blow up/fizzle out on the longer ones. I should train for the longer climbs of course, especially since I like to ride Sportives in the Alps. I should probably try more Sportives in the Vosges or Massif Central, because those climbs are shorter.

Oh, and in real life I would probably be very slow on Sugarloaf. I don't deal well with altitude. At home I'm below sea level..

Breedon

Legendary Member
I like the look of both of those. A little bit more challenging than the Watopia KOM and Tower. Sugarloaf allows a bit of warm up before pitching close to 10% on average after 3km. Magnolia has 2 bits where you get some respite and then ramps up again. Being able to see watts and w/kg for people riding it gives a pretty good indication of a time to aim for. They will hurt. If those watts etc are accurate then Lee and Dean will get up Magnolia in 4o min or less, Sugar loaf in just under 35 min, possibly less.
@berty bassett is being a wuss :tongue: he won't come out and play with us^_^

Breedon

Legendary Member
I think average ride should be around an hour. A little less or a little more, depending on how much of a hurry you are in :smile:. I don’t suppose I’ll be looking at stages with much less than a 7% gradient.

My preference is for there to be no time limit on the league. I.e, one continuous league which we add a new course to every week for the next few months. This way it’s as competitive as you choose it to be. You can compare your times to other people to set yourself targets. Or just try and complete all the stages. Nothing too serious. The only downside of this I can think of is that if people join the league late they’ll have some catching up to do. So maybe we can make it a rolling league and have a re think later down the road?

When you’ve completed a stage you can add it to the spreadsheet yourself or get assistance if needed. Maybe at the end of each week we can total up people’s times to create a leader board for people who have completed all the stages up until that point.

If you don’t want to complete all the stages, or don’t want to complete them in the order they are set at. Then don’t let that put you off. Just do the ones you fancy doing.

Going up hills can be competitive if you let it but it’s more a battle vs yourself. So it’s more about you’re own targets with a bit of banter thrown in for motivation. I’d rather make it fun before competitive!

How does that sound?
Sounds spot on Tommy im quite looking forward to this :okay:

bobinski

Legendary Member

How does that sound?

I agree-an hour sounds about right. My preference would be for a little bit longer but i am happy to look at some of those a little closer to the trip and do them my myself. I will of course let everyone know just in case anyone wants to ride them too.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Oh :sad: I was hoping for the Col du Portalet (North side) - I've done the south side :biggrin:

Or one of @keithaitch s faves https://bigringvr.com/Ride.aspx?rideID=2134 :whistle: ... Need to get miles in as well as height gain, I've a ride planned in may 106 miles 15,000 ft of ascent that I need to get ready for. ... and that is just one day of Nine!!

Top Bottom