Bike Ability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He can't ride at all without stabilisers. I imagine he'd be v embarrassed in front of classmates. Really needs 1-1

@Tim Hall Thanks for pm. I'll check with friend whether she is still looking at this

I think there is an issue and a degree of embarrassment as he can't ride, and I think the courses are aimed at further training rather than basic learning? Hence asking about one on one tuition. Doesn't have to be free

I'd echo what @Dave Davenport said. Get your friend to search through that Bikeability list of providers for your local area, and then give a couple a call to discuss her specific requirements.

runner

Guru
I was 50 when my current avatar photo was taken! (It will get changed this year, but I may incorporate a flash of the old one to remind people who I am!)

I'm looking a lot older now, having turned 59 this week. THAT illness aged me very quickly, as has losing a lot of weight - the skin on my face doesn't fit properly any more so I have more, er, jowls! The hair is much greyer, and half of it has receded or fallen out.

Apart from that, I look fine! :laugh:
know how you feel....I turn 59 soon....but cycling cuts across all ages and keeps us young!

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
With regards to the OP, I've not sought out more training because I'm comfortable with where I am currently. I've got almost 30 years of road sense built up from cars and motorbikes and have taken IAM training in both thanks to a wish to learn to be better. I see a lot more near misses than I'm involved in and am comfortable commuting on busy urban roads. Most of the extra cycling skills I was after, largely group riding, I got by joining up with the Fridays last year. I could almost definitely do with learning some more bicycle handling skills, but am not looking at Bike Ability because of time constraints and a feeling that what I'm after might be a bit specific for what a cycling group could teach me. I'd probably get more by taking the 20 year olds polo bike out of the garage and mucking about on that for a bit with a stick and a ball.

I'd doubt I'm alone in having a similar history, and would expect a fair number of cyclechat members to be in similar, or even more comfortable, positions so it's not so much that your advice is the wrong advice, just that a lot of regulars on here aren't really looking for it.

Of course the regulars may not need Bike ability, but some new people may not know such a thing exists.

I wonder how many cyclists lives could be saved with a little training, for everybody on the road.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've passed the link on, but my friend says her son is scared of trying to learn, that he may not manage to ride properly, safely (mildly dyspraxic)
The only way he'll ever find out is to try. Even if that means trying in a closed carpark or school playground.

vickster

Legendary Member
The only way he'll ever find out is to try. Even if that means trying in a closed carpark or school playground.
Well indeed, but it's not so easy to reason and explain to a scared 10 year old I guess (it's not like I am a good example of nothing bad ever happening when cycling :biggrin: )

classic33

Leg End Member
Well indeed, but it's not so easy to reason and explain to a scared 10 year old I guess (it's not like I am a good example of nothing bad ever happening when cycling :biggrin: )
But away from a road and possibly prying eyes, he can at least try riding. To see if he can ride a bike.

fatjel

Veteran
I seem to remember a cycling proficiency test in my school days.. With a badge !!!

I've been 59 for 6 days now.. grey, thinning hair and baggy skin sound familiar

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I seem to remember a cycling proficiency test in my school days.. With a badge !!!

I've been 59 for 6 days now.. grey, thinning hair and baggy skin sound familiar
I thought my 59 year old memory was playing tricks on me ... I read your post, thought it was mine, and wondered when I had changed my avatar - ha ha!

Top Bottom