Bike buying advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't think I have ever turned my bike upside down to fix a puncture, my water would leak out of my bottle :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never turned a bike upside down in my life. Puncture at home, it goes in the stand. Puncture at the roadside, bike gets laid on its side where it cant fal over and damage itself or injure me.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can’t kneel / squat so it must be awkward removing a wheel while bike lying down and blocking the pavement. Never personally had a bike topple while upside down on bars/saddle

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
There is nothing wrong with turning a hydraulic brake cycle upside down. If the brakes are correctly setup, there will be no air in the fluid. Its nots like a car reservoir, its sealed so air cannot enter the system.

£600 is a big chunk difference between models. Other than the colour, why Bianchi?

Paint job on a cheaper bike with all the necessary groupset parts?

I normally place my jacket under the handlebars and seat to stop scratches from the floor, if on road or path. There again its been a few years since ive had to repair a tyre on the road- I use tubeless :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not sure why you are concerned about disc brake maintenance.

Decent hydraulic discs, which this Bianchi ought to have, will be all but maintenance free.

You do need to be careful not to squeeze the lever with the wheel out, although it's not hard to ease the pads open again with a tyre lever.

One point against disc brakes is it can be hard to assess pad wear from peering at the back of the calliper, aggravated in my case by eyesight that is not as sharp as it once was.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
There is nothing wrong with turning a hydraulic brake cycle upside down. If the brakes are correctly setup, there will be no air in the fluid. Its nots like a car reservoir, its sealed so air cannot enter the system.

£600 is a big chunk difference between models. Other than the colour, why Bianchi?

I normally place my jacket under the handlebars and seat to stop scratches from the floor, if on road or path. There again its been a few years since ive had to repair a tyre on the road- I use tubeless :smile:

I run tubeless on my Giant TCR advanced - I was a bit apprehensive at first but they are really good. Is it possible to run tubeless on the Bianchi do you think (on both the Rim one and the Disc one?)

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran

I just like Bianchi and particularly like the classic Celeste colour!

BTW - you can turn the biek upside down without any problems. However, why are you turning the bike upside down in the first place?
Agreed, I don’t need to turn a disk bike to take off the wheel, absolutely no need,
thankfully it not a car though, that would be quite a mess.

Kajjal

Guru
All my bikes now have decent hydraulic disc brakes and the only maintenance I tend to do is swap the pads when they wear out. Turning the bike upside down is no problem, even if you have air in the system once the bike is the right way up with the wheel back in a couple of pulls on the brake sorts it out.

Worth test riding one to see how you get on as some people prefer the lower power and feel of rim brakes.

Nebulous

Guru
One point against disc brakes is it can be hard to assess pad wear from peering at the back of the calliper, aggravated in my case by eyesight that is not as sharp as it once was.

Shine a torch through it from the other side and you can see the pads much more clearly. I use the light on my mobile phone. Unfortunately I can't claim credit for this tip, as I saw it on a YouTube video.

Top Bottom