Bike cam videos to the police?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Outside of London (I know about RoadSafe) how do the police e.g. TVP react to bike cam videos sent in to them, showing apparent careless driving by a motorist endangering a cyclist - without any independent witnesses? I've heard that police sometimes contact drivers to 'tell them off' etc is this true? Can/do the police take action on the basis of a single video (outside of London)? Any experiences?

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are lucky you may get blessed with a shrug of the shoulders and a mumble about cutbacks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've asked, and (as I understoodd the answer) Norfolk Constabulary won't act on camera evidence for careless driving alone such as close-passes because the camera is not calibrated for distances and so on, but they would act on it for road rage or things that result in collisions. I've not put this to the test and I've not heard of it happening here.

I also feel that you should be fairly confident that you can defend your own actions when admitting to having kept a video of an incident because the justice system seems to deal with cyclists far more harshly than motorists.

I've asked, and (as I understoodd the answer) Norfolk Constabulary won't act on camera evidence for careless driving alone such as close-passes because the camera is not calibrated for distances and so on, but they would act on it for road rage or things that result in collisions. I've not put this to the test and I've not heard of it happening here.

I also feel that you should be fairly confident that you can defend your own actions when admitting to having kept a video of an incident because the justice system seems to deal with cyclists far more harshly than motorists.

That sounds like a load of dino dung to me. Next time I get a speeding fine, Im going to ask for evidence of light redshift of my vehicle.
Surely they need to act on cases of careless driving as such antics leed to collisions. Prevention is far better than cure.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

We have seen alleged close passes on here which looked miles away on the screen and so Norfolk Constabulary seems to have thought it through.

Top Bottom