Bike Carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Hi,

I have a Mazda 6 and was looking for some info about bike carriers. It has a spoiler so rules out a rear=mounted carrier, it doesn`t have any roof bars so they would be an added expense and I nearly fell off my chair when I asked the Mazda garage how much a tow-bar would cost.

Any info well appreciated altho my research has led me to the following:

https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/

Don't use the mazada garage for a towbar!

Supplied and fitted cost us less than £200 using a towbar company instead... then get a decent towbar mounted bike rack 2nd hard and job's sorted.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
[QUOTE 3547087, member: 259"]Fork out a bit and get a Thule mounting system for your car and bars. It'll be worth it in the long run and you can transfer the bars between cars (if not the feet).

Have a look at roofbox.co.uk for some sound advice and good prices.

No point buying cheap and having to do the same again in a year's time.

Thule are solid and fit perfectly.[/QUOTE]
+1 for roofbox.co.uk. I got 2x Thule Freeride carriers and Cruz Alu Aero roofbars for around £200. If I change car, I can just buy a different roofbars mounting kit. Good secure carriers and roofbars :smile:

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
I've got a 3 bike Thule rack for the tow bar on my car. Solid as a rock, never moves even at motorway speeds. Used it many times and regularly too.

As has been said though, but a good system. Might seem to cost a bit but it's far cheaper in the long run.

Think of the value of bikes you could be carrying and the cost of them falling off on a main road. Personally I think they should only allow tow bar or roof rack mounting.

Don't use the mazada garage for a towbar!

Supplied and fitted cost us less than £200 using a towbar company instead... then get a decent towbar mounted bike rack 2nd hard and job's sorted.

This.

When I had a towbar fitted I used a local company that charged me 180 quid. I had emailed with the dealer (Skoda) for the price of a towbar, and they quoted me 650, plus VAT! I queried it having already had the other price and they said "its a big job, you're looking at five hours labour"

I used the local company who took just over an hour (one guy, came to my house). He then told me that quite often certain dealerships will hire them to fit towbars, and charge their customers about triple the price they pay!

This.

When I had a towbar fitted I used a local company that charged me 180 quid. I had emailed with the dealer (Skoda) for the price of a towbar, and they quoted me 650, plus VAT! I queried it having already had the other price and they said "its a big job, you're looking at five hours labour"

I used the local company who took just over an hour (one guy, came to my house). He then told me that quite often certain dealerships will hire them to fit towbars, and charge their customers about triple the price they pay!
Just remember to let your insurance company know. They count it as a modification but it doesn't cost anything extra. They just like to know in case the car is rear ended because additional checks need to be made to vehicles with towbars.

stephec

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3547087, member: 259"]Fork out a bit and get a Thule mounting system for your car and bars. It'll be worth it in the long run and you can transfer the bars between cars (if not the feet).

Have a look at roofbox.co.uk for some sound advice and good prices.

No point buying cheap and having to do the same again in a year's time.

Thule are solid and fit perfectly.[/QUOTE]
This. :smile:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I hate to say it, but the Halfords basic 4-bike towbar-mounted bike carrier is a cracking bit of kit (about £180, compared with £400 for the Thule). Minimalist engineering, and has transported bikes the 1700-mile round trip to the Alps a few times, memorably with about £10,000's-worth of bikes on my £200-worth car. Much better for fuel consumption than on the roof, plus you don't pay extra on the ferry for height. And yes, about £200 to get the towbar fitted by a local firm.

Saris might be an option. Make sure you search under Europe.
https://www.saris.com/

If there are screw holes on the roof edges (obscured by the doors) them you should be able to get roof bars with feet that are sold separately. You would then need to buy a bike carrier to fit onto the bars. If this is an option it would be cheaper than a tow bar mounted rack.

Last edited:

Wodman

Über Member
I use a Thule roofbar system - I've always been put off a towbar system (although my cars always have a towbar fitted) simply because of the amount of muck that gets plastered up the tailgate when its wet. I assume that having the bikes on the roof means that they avoid the worst of that grey motorway gunge...

I've always been put off a towbar system (although my cars always have a towbar fitted) simply because of the amount of muck that gets plastered up the tailgate when its wet. I assume that having the bikes on the roof means that they avoid the worst of that grey motorway gunge...
It's odd but they don't seem to get dirty on the back even without our current car having mud flaps.

Top Bottom