Bike Cassettes - Quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
Depends on the make (Shimano, Campag, SRAM, Miche etc). Also, if it's in the road or MTB ranges.

Will1985

Über Member
I'm sure somebody else can find a list of the order of quality.

Many Sram equipped pro riders use a Force cassette (or even Shimano) - partly to bring up the weight but also because they supposedly run smoother and quieter.

Top end titanium cassettes are also a bit of a con as the teeth wear more quickly than steel.

Quality is hard to define.

Hard wearing or light weight are two qualities that different people rate, also the ability to shift the chain more precisely and faster.

Titanium is lightest, but wears out fairly fast, especially compared to steel, which is heavy.

The main manufacturers cassettes (Sram, Shimano & Campagnolo) will supposedly shift best when coupled with the same manufacturers chains.

Fast_Mark

The main manufacturers cassettes (Sram, Shimano & Campagnolo) will supposedly shift best when coupled with the same manufacturers chains.

Interesting that you should say that as i've I've always run shimano cassettes as I find them harder wearing but with SRAM chains (on the few occasions that I have run a shimano chain they've been very prone to breaking) and have always found my shifting as smooth as Barry White covered in butter wearing a silk dressing gown.

Top Bottom