Bike cleaning during the winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I used to use one of those garden spray things and they're spot on for instant cleaning needs.
But I've put an outdoor tap in now to make the job easier still - hosepipe with a trigger nozzle does an even better, and quicker, job.
The pressure washer does a good job of keeping the flags clean, but I've not felt the need to use it on the bikes yet...

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to use one of those garden spray things and they're spot on for instant cleaning needs.
But I've put an outdoor tap in now to make the job easier still - hosepipe with a trigger nozzle dies an even better, and quicker, job.
The pressure washer does a good job of keeping the flags clean, but I've not felt the need to use it on the bikes yet...

Clever thing hose pipes, adjustable pressure just like my jet wash.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Clever thing hose pipes, adjustable pressure just like my jet wash.

Exactly - and to be fair, the hosepipe is there on the wall next to the tap when I get home so it takes a few seconds and I'm ready to go.
If I wanted to use the pressure washer I'd have to get it out, run the extension lead out, connect the hose etc - by the time I've done all that I'd have already finished the job using the hosepipe. :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@johnnyb47 well thanks for the tip which I think I’ll try. As for not wanting to get the summer bike dirty? I understand you completely, mine was stripped, cleaned everything, polished and reassembled in mid-October. She’s now hanging in the garage under a dust sheet.

I’m fortunate that for beautiful days like today I get my carbon tourer out to tackle the hills on the club ride. On the really crappy days I get my old Dolan Dual out, mudguards etc. to help keep me and the guy behind clean and dry!!

bpsmith

Veteran
I did the same a few weeks back. Took it out today, as my other bike is still not able to be repaired or replaced. It bucketted down and was no longer looking for all pretty. It was bloody worth it though! :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Mudguards, hub gears and Winter cleaning (not that it is Winter yet) can be easily and quickly done with a cloth and a light spray with a water repellant on the frame.

Top Bottom