Bike course this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I'm off to the Edinburgh Bike Co-op maintenance course on Sunday :blush: (at least I hope I am, I'm off at the moment feeling pretty rotten with a nasty man cold/flu thingy.)

I'll try and give the bike a bit of a clean before I go, but it will probably still be a bit dirty when I get there. Do they supply overalls or should I wear some old clothes?

The bike is in desperate need of a service (probably a good thing). I suspect that I need a new chain, (maybe some of the drivetrain replaced?), I have a feeling my bottom bracket might be on it's last legs and my rear freehub (?) might be needing replaced as well (although that might be an lbs jobby!).

Anyway, after this weekend, I expect I will be offering advice in the know how section.....:thumbsdown::biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't know if they will offer you overalls but for sure I would not wear anything that would upset me if it got oily. However Magnatom, it's bound to be interesting and doing small jobs on the bike is very satisfying IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I enquired about doing a course at the Leeds branch last year, but they were not planning to run any at that time :smile:
So i bought myself a bicycle repair manual & along with this forum have managed so far to tighten cables, change chain, set gears up properly, how to lube properly. It's all fairly easy stuff once you start to do it.
Certainly better than having to treck to nearest decent bike shop, which for me is approx 15 miles away

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh well, I'd better get the bike as clean as I can before I go!

Will I have time to do all the work required on the bike? (excluding the hub which I assume would require wheel building)

Wolf04

magnatom said:
Oh well, I'd better get the bike as clean as I can before I go!

Will I have time to do all the work required on the bike? (excluding the hub which I assume would require wheel building)

You will be shown how to replace bearings and regrease the hub during the course.

If my memory serves
1. Puncture repair
2. removing chain and rear sprocket then service the hub
3. Gears
4. Brakes
5. Headset
6. Pedals,cranks and bottom brackets
7. Wheel truing (brief).

I think it was the first course in Newcastle so he was quite happy to show you other things if asked.

Hugo15

Über Member
I did it in Newcastle last year. I thought is was fantastic. Basically your bike gets a full service (normally £80) while you learn how to do it next time.

I wore some oldish clothes but they had Park Tools aprons (felt like a propper mechanic :smile:) to keep the worst off.

They should be OK with you fitting the new bits you need. Might be worth giving them a call beforehand to make sure they have the bits you need. A guy on the course I went on fitted a new compact chainset when we got to the crancks and bottom bracket section.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hope you enjoy it. I'm a self taught bike mechanic -I think I am fairly inclined mechanically though, so that helped me I think.

I've never attended a course but do build up my own bikes doing everything -including wheel building (proud to say I've never had a spoke or wheel failure on any of my wheels and they certainly keep truer than any wheel I've bought on a bike too). The best thing you can ever do is buy appropriate quality tools -makes jobs soooo much easier and torque specs should be adhered to. Good web sites to go to include sheldonbrown.com, and parktool.com.

My best bicycle claim to fame was getting a web page on the late great Sheldon Brown's web site for Cannondale Headshok dissassembly/assembly.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
They had aprons available for those who wanted them when I did it last year, but I took some old clothes that I didn't mind getting filthy so I was OK.

It's a very good course - books are one thing, but seeing it done and getting to try it out and ask for help/advice as you're doing it are invaluable.

Enjoy the day !

Top Bottom