Bike Damage on Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Have any of you regular Turbo Trainer users had any damage or issues with your bike after using it on a Turbo? Do any of you use your “Best Bike” on there?

I am determined to ride more through this Winter, but time is the main issue, so planning to sign up to Zwift.

I just can’t decide which bike to use on there. :smile:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Can't answer that as I have a bike set permanently on my Turbo.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
If you set your bike up correctly, you shouldn't have any damage to your bike all. However, i did find that using a turbo trainer, i lost a bit more rubber from the tyres than i expected. No idea why that happened.

screenman

Legendary Member
Bike and turbo have been together for about 6 years now, the frame is starting to rust a bit in places. To be fair on the bike it was my training bike before that and had a hard life.

crazyjoe101

If you set your bike up correctly, you shouldn't have any damage to your bike all. However, i did find that using a turbo trainer, i lost a bit more rubber from the tyres than i expected. No idea why that happened.
Using normal tyres on a turbo will wear them very quickly due to the increased friction involved, you are 'supposed' to fit old tyres or trainer tyres.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I DID experience the tyre wear problem. It probably depends on what type of roller the turbo trainer has. If I didn't adjust the tyre tight enough against the roller, it kept slipping when I was pedalling hard. If I tightened it, I got rubber powder everywhere as the tyre wore down through the winter.

These days I keep my worn tyres for turbo trainer duties and use them until they wear through. I also wear old shorts which have become too worn to use in public! :laugh:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for all of the quick replies. :smile:

I did have a spare wheel, but now using that after the Zonda was damaged.

The Fulcrum 7’s are wearing a set of Hutchinson Equinox in 23mm. Rode them once when the ground was slightly damp and vowed to never use them again outside!

Ordered a set of tyres and tubes, on a cracking deal, and just remembered that I can’t fit them yet as no longer have a spare wheel to use on the Turbo. Lol.

Anyone use Zwift then?

Top Bottom