Bike Damage on Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
No, get a spare bike for the turbo.

Using normal tyres on a turbo will wear them very quickly due to the increased friction involved, you are 'supposed' to fit old tyres or trainer tyres.

I'm using a solid tyre and it's been fine for nearly 400 miles.The trainer tyre I had got shredded but I think it did about 1000+ miles...Also the inner tube suffered p*nct*res.

Only one thing with the solid is it's a bit bumpy at first as it indents on the roller till the tyre gets warm and evens out.

Marathon Plus which I used at first didn't go down too well as it's noisy but it's not right for it anyway.

Also stop the sweat getting on the rear wheel as it causes slipping.I have a towel on the seat.

Just about off to do another half an hour sesh.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What was interesting was the wear on my old turbos steel roller.
I used to wipe the sweat off my bike and first turbo trainer after each session. What I hadn't noticed though was that some sweat worked its way down to the underside of the turbo each time. When I went to put the turbo away in the spring I found that it had rusted through from below! :eek: It is true that salty water is very corrosive.

Lonestar

Veteran
The sweat is very corrosive,yes.

Found my rear brake had seized on the Audax when I took it off of the turbo as the cable inside had rusted.It had been on there for five months.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to wipe the sweat off my bike and first turbo trainer after each session. What I hadn't noticed though was that some sweat worked its way down to the underside of the turbo each time. When I went to put the turbo away in the spring I found that it had rusted through from below! :eek: It is true that salty water is very corrosive.

Not talking rust, but a pronounced V in the roller.

The bike ( generally) doesn’t move around like it does on the road, on a Turbo, so there are some lateral forces on the seat stays /chain stays, caused by the binding to the Turbo, that aren’t normally there, but, the lateral forces that are there, are not as damaging, as hitting holes / cracks / ironwork, at speed, on the road. It’s nothing that a half decent bike can’t handle. The only time I had damage caused by a turbo, was because I didn’t attatch it firmly enough, and I was testing a new build, which was not 100 percent nailed down in its set up.

Tin Pot

Guru
Have any of you regular Turbo Trainer users had any damage or issues with your bike after using it on a Turbo? Do any of you use your “Best Bike” on there?

I am determined to ride more through this Winter, but time is the main issue, so planning to sign up to Zwift.

I just can’t decide which bike to use on there. :smile:

Yep.

Two of my spokes exploded. No idea how or why.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’ve ordered a sweat catcher from Decathlon, but there are loads out there to protect the bike.

I wear sweat bands on my wrists to help the sweat too. I like looking like an 80s tennis star.

Top Bottom