bike fit post collar bone surgery ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Has anyone any experience of bike fit after surgery ? im 10 weeks post now and although i can ride after 20 miles its uncomfortable and its slowing down my return to fitness.Doing physio exercises daily .
Shoulder joint hurts at the front and the back , does it get better over time or will i need to look at changing my set up long term ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will get better. My road bikes haven't changed in 30 years. I've got older, less flexible, broken lots of bones and my back, and can ride them for 4-5 hours with no issues now.

10 weeks isn't very long. When my shoulder was decompressed, doc said 6 months - it was more like 18 months before it didn't hurt on the bike.

si_c

Guru
As @fossyant says it will get better over time you're still healing from the surgery.

I have a plated collarbone and I suffered some level of discomfort for maybe a year after surgery when doing longer rides (100km+) but shorter rides caused no problem after about six months. Don't have any issues now.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My surgeon wouldn’t let me on the bike for 3 months! :laugh: I was more nervous than sore starting back. It’s been 6 years for me so to be honest I can’t really remember now how long it bothered me. I never really think about it now unless something rubs on the area. Being female, some bra straps can rub and irritate it if I’m running.

si_c

Guru
Still have the plates in?
Yep, don't cause any problems so no reason to take them out. Doctor said at the time that if I had issues with backpacks etc it might be worth it, but absent any problems (I now pay a bit more for extra padding on shoulder straps, just in case ^_^) it's better to keep them in I think.

Ripple

Veteran
When I broke a collarbone my biggest issue was a seatbelt - too painfull to wear it. Only after 2 years* I was able to wear it again - luckily I didn't drive then.

* 2004 - collarbone broken and plated - that's operation No.1.
2005 - plate was removed - op No.2 and all joys of wound and bone (where the screws were) healing again. :angry:

Didn't have any problems with cycling though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've had a few surgical procedures/injuries over the years and they always took longer than hoped for to stop aching and reminding me of their presence, sometimes many years. For instance, a dislocated shoulder when in my mid/late 20s took 10yrs+ to be forgotten. A groin hernia repair when I turned 30 also ached for 4-5yrs (especially when cycling :sad:). Bizarrely, my more recent broken neck and fractured skull from 2018 was physically forgotten about within around 3-4 months (unlike some of the other side effects which still go on....).

Ignore it and man up? If it is annoying/uncomfortable then crack on and grow a pair. If it is excruciating then maybe refer back to a medical proffesional.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

TBH its hurt less as i have done less physio exercises and been doing more compound moves with light resistance on my chuck norris style total gym .
Very weak in comparison to where i was , i used to do 40-50 press ups and now 15 was the limit , i could do a set on 10 pull ups and now i couldnt even manage one with full body weight .

Sharky

Guru
Managed to break both sides. Once when a Corsa hit me and once when I miss read a bend and went straight on. Didn't have any surgery, just time to let the bones knit and heal.

Both times, I started back using a turbo in the garage. First few trips on the road were scary as I couldn't turn my head to check traffic behind. Partially solved by fitting a mirror, but when turning right, used to stop on the laft, dismount and walk across.

And I couldn't wear bib shorts, as it was too painful on the shoulders.

Now 15 years later mostly OK.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Managed to break both sides. Once when a Corsa hit me and once when I miss read a bend and went straight on. Didn't have any surgery, just time to let the bones knit and heal.

Both times, I started back using a turbo in the garage. First few trips on the road were scary as I couldn't turn my head to check traffic behind. Partially solved by fitting a mirror, but when turning right, used to stop on the laft, dismount and walk across.

And I couldn't wear bib shorts, as it was too painful on the shoulders.

Now 15 years later mostly OK.

Nearly 2 years now and back to full fit on bike and strength is there.pins ache on bad days

Top Bottom