Bike Fit Question: Dropping the Head Set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Today I dropped my headset by 5mm. I aim to shrink my aerobic profile, but by tiny increments as I ride far rather than fast (Audax) so my comfort is priority. For all I know I may want to go back to my previous, upright position.

In response to dropping the headset, I tilted my saddle forwards a little. Early days, but it feels comfortable. My knee bend feels slightly different but I haven’t really ridden in the new set up long enough to know if my knees or back will hint towards lowering or raising the saddle or indeed moving the saddle forwards or backwards.

Is there anything I should be considering in regards to saddle height or fore/aft position?

Thank you as always.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Interested,as just done the same before the commute home this afternoon.Felt fine and will prob drop some more next week.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I dropped 10mm on my Roubaix recently and have just bought the tools to chop the steerer to allow me to go another 10mm lower by shifting the bung down. I intend to take 10mm off this time and reassemble with a 10mm spacer above the stem so I can revert back to the current height if it's too much. If after a month or so it feels good I'll chop it again :angel: I bought a cheap carbon steerer cap too but having looked at it I might use the original aluminium one to tighten it down then swap them over :laugh:

Maenchi

StoneDog
Lost me already. 5mm is my spallest spacer and this is the measurement of my change earlier today.
There are various sized spacers available, I suggested that because it was something I've been experimenting with recently and I was surprised at how much difference a small change can make, 5mm for me would make quite a difference to the comfort of my neck; for instance:smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
In what way is this 'dropping the headset'?

Top Bottom