Bike fit trends - specifically in crank length, handlebar width, reach and stack..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd argue that that bike is for people significantly taller than me. Aside from the fact it's hideous, it's geometry is very very tall and very upright, it's probably a comfortable position to ride from but it's not going to be particularly quick. I'm curious about how it handles as well - it's definitely going to have a very high centre of gravity.
All the super large size bikes appear to have that very upright geometry.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-xxl-xxxl-bikes-for-tall-cyclists-62-63-64cm/

It may be an optical illusion because 20" wheel bikes in med size( eg Canondale Hooligan) appear similar. 700c is a very small wheel for an xxxl frame.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
"Bike fitter bitches about other bike fitters shocker" should be the headline. His theory on why people end up on frames that are too big for them is ludicrous. Probably less than 1% of bikes are sold by people who were also selling them in the mid 80s.

Twilkes

Guru
I'd argue that that bike is for people significantly taller than me. Aside from the fact it's hideous, it's geometry is very very tall and very upright, it's probably a comfortable position to ride from but it's not going to be particularly quick. I'm curious about how it handles as well - it's definitely going to have a very high centre of gravity.

Yeah I would agree with that, 6ft5 and 34" inseam and I ride a 60cm Cannondale with a 110mm stem and it fits fine - I even tried a 130mm stem but switched it back once I couldn't really get an all-day position that didn't stretch my back out and leave me aching for a few days. It might be a more racy position than some folk go for but there's no way I need a 65cm top tube or that mega long steering column.

Crank length can even be down to the different proportions of your upper and lower leg, so two people with the same inseam might be more optimal on two different crank lengths. But then that's 'optimal' thinking of elite riders, most people can ride on various length cranks without noticeable difference in comfort or performance.

Twilkes

Guru
If you look at this picture of a guy riding one of the XXL/XXXL bikes, if you look at how high above the crown of the forks the stem is, and the saddle is about level with the stem, this guy has massively long legs. 34" or even 35" inseam is fairly common in comparison, indeed I've met people under 6ft who have the same inseam as me.

tuesdaynight1.jpg

And as ever, there's a Dylan Johnson video about crank length - not watched it yet but they're generally referenced to scientific studies:

si_c

Guru
All the super large size bikes appear to have that very upright geometry.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-xxl-xxxl-bikes-for-tall-cyclists-62-63-64cm/

It may be an optical illusion because 20" wheel bikes in med size( eg Canondale Hooligan) appear similar. 700c is a very small wheel for an xxxl frame.

I'm currently running a 63cm frame - it has a stack of 620 and a reach of 410 - bear in mind I have 2cm of spacers underneath the stem so the effective stack is 640. BB-Centre to top of saddle is 87cm and the tip of the saddle to the centre of the bars is 61.5cm.

This is a comfortable fit for me and the bike doesn't look out of proportion, it's clearly a larger frame than some bikes but the headtube is a reasonable size.

PXL_20201027_120629342.jpg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers guys - this certainly seems to have stirred some lively debate :tongue:

Very opinionated chappie isn't he? He doesn't seem to take into account the usage of different bikes and just goes for a generic this is how it should be approach.

Gravel bikes like my Kona are very much influenced by Mountain Bikes in it's approach to sizing, so 460mm wide bars (Centre to Centre), 70mm stem and 170mm cranks. Now off-road the influence those wide bars and short stem can really be felt, the bike can handle some really impressively rough trails. The other benefit on road is the comfort this affords, I have never ridden a more comfy bike and in the summer I rode 440 km across Slovenia loaded up and didn't suffer a single bit of bike fit related discomfort.

So forgive me if I take some of his protestations about bar width with a pinch of salt, it really is up to the individual rider and the usage to which the bike will be put. Narrow bars will suit some riders and their intended use, but equally, wide bars have their place to and can contribute to an impressively comfy all day touring bike.
Indeed, although in his defence I suspect the vast majority of work he sees comes from road cyclists which defines a fairly narrow range of expectation re. fit - speed is the no.1 consideration so fit is a case of maximising aero properties and power output while retaining a tolerable level of comfort. Obviously road bikes tend to have more aggressive geometry than others which generally makes fit more critical.

Conversely with gravel speeds are lower and terrain more variable, so some compromises relative to the ideas of road cycling are to be expected.

Bike fit, eh? Considering they tend to contradict each other in detail, which system do you choose? How do we know that is the optimum, and not one of the differing systems? I have experience of them and remain unconvinced of any significant benefit.
I guess that's the big question. While (as per my response above) there's going to be some subjectivity depending on rider preference and application, I think some things (such as saddle height) are much less subjective.. of course you still have to choose who to believe :tongue:

Crank length will not scale with height. Even people of the same height can have very different leg dimensions. Even with same leg dimensions riders will have different preferences or indeed not really care whether it’s 170mm or 175mm.
All things being equal though, for a simplified (and flawed) bike-fit model that only references height; crank size should scale - no? I'm well familiar with the variation in fit for a given height (I have long legs, relatively speaking) however I'd expect if the relevant factors to crank length (as defined in @MichaelW2's post) to scale with height, within a range for any given height.

On this note I see some manufacturers are now quoting inside leg on fitment too; which I guess is a step in the right direction, although off-the-shelf bike sizing is only going to take into account the mean body proportions for whatever height is being targeted.

Interesting while looking at Boardman's latest I compared the men's and women's versions of the Adv. 8.9, and was somewhat surprised and disappointed to see that the geometry of both frames is exactly the same; rather than my expectation that the women's frames would have a shorter reach..

"Bike fitter bitches about other bike fitters shocker" should be the headline. His theory on why people end up on frames that are too big for them is ludicrous. Probably less than 1% of bikes are sold by people who were also selling them in the mid 80s.
Maybe, although I found his point quite salient as someone who's always been told by shops that I need a bigger size than I find comfortable; I think because they're basing their assessment purely on my height..

Venod

Eh up
I bought a Cannondale Synapse recently, they alter the geometry depending on frame size, I was torn between 54 and 56, I went for 56 the 54 had a very short seat tube IMO, the 56 had the same virtual TT as my 54 On One, its set up exactly the same, with plenty of seat post stuck out of the frame.

boydj

Legendary Member
Being a short-a**e, I've fitted 165mm cranks on my bikes, which lets me get the saddle a bit higher and a little more saddle to bar drop. It's a small difference, but it makes life more comfortable on longer runs and I only made the change because I was changing the bottom bracket anyway to a proper PF30 one.

Nebulous

Guru
I once read an article by a guy who fitted professional riders. He said many of them were obsessed and often made minor adjustments, a few millimetres here and there. However he said even more annoying for him were people he called ‘extreme adopters’ if I remember correctly. They gave no feedback and if you stuck them on a bike they just rode it.

I’m a bit like that. Since starting riding seriously in 2010 I don’t think I’ve ever done any more than raise or lower the seatpost on any bike I’ve ridden. Apart from that I just make it work, or adapt to it, rather than adjust it.

I found I was getting sore knees on the inside of my legs, on an audax of 300 km or more, so concerned about the possibility of damaging something I went for a bike fit. He told me my fit was pretty good, but raised my saddle by 14 mm and turned my cleats out slightly. I may suit ‘standard’ 54 bike geometry. It made a substantial improvement to my knees, but I began to get sore Achilles instead. I put the saddle back down by 4mm as a compromise.

Top Bottom