Bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just had a bike done at AlfJones Bikes. Cost: £65
Can't go out to try it out yet as it is raining but Tim ( the bike fitter) upped my saddle by at least 2", moved it forward a bit, checked it was level and slightly changed the position of my cleats .I hope it is money well spent and hoping to go out tomorrow, weather depending. When I got home, I copied all the settings on my other 3 bikes as they all needed adjusting, especially the saddles.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good stuff. That’s a big saddle height increase. Be very careful when you get on the bike on a camber and especially when you come to put your foot down, as you’ll find it weird finding the ground

I’d have seen how it is on one bike before changing them all

When you transfer positions from one bike to another, you have to account for any differences in the frame, eg angles. The best way is to plot the points of contact (pedals, saddles, bars) on a grid or graph using [x,y] coordinates. place the bottom bracket at [0,0] and use that as the origin to measure up and across. This way, the position will be the same no matter what the frame does.

si_c

Guru
That's a mammoth increase in saddle height. Having seen you on the Llandudno ride, I don't recall having thought your saddle was too low.

From experience it's going to take a little while for your muscles to adapt to the new position, particularly in your legs, I raised the saddle (only 5-10mm though) on my commuter recently as part of my dialling in process, and I was getting a little tightness in my calves and hamstrings afterwards, so if you do get that it's normal, just persist with it a couple of rides.

@gavroche are you sure that AlfJones Bikes didn't make a mistake because hells teeth a 2" increase in a saddles height is surely somewhat of a manic increase.

Prior to having the saddle height increased, in all of your many years of cycling did you ever feel you were sat too low? It might be worth spending a few moments (hours) reading through this website http://bikedynamics.co.uk/ to see what measurements you come up with.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

That's a mammoth increase in saddle height. Having seen you on the Llandudno ride, I don't recall having thought your saddle was too low.

From experience it's going to take a little while for your muscles to adapt to the new position, particularly in your legs, I raised the saddle (only 5-10mm though) on my commuter recently as part of my dialling in process, and I was getting a little tightness in my calves and hamstrings afterwards, so if you do get that it's normal, just persist with it a couple of rides.
Tim warned me that I will probably use muscles I haven't used before and it may ache for a bit until I get used to it. Haven't been out yet due to wet weather. Maybe tomorrow?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I'm thinking @gavroche maybe meant 2cm as 2" is a big leap
No, definitely 40 to 50 mm. My legs are straighter now and my knees in line with the cleat point. Feels comfortable when I sit on the bike but I can't put one foot on the ground when sitting on the saddle now but I will have to remember to get off the saddle when I stop. I will report back as soon as I go out.

si_c

Guru
No, definitely 40 to 50 mm. My legs are straighter now and my knees in line with the cleat point. Feels comfortable when I sit on the bike but I can't put one foot on the ground when sitting on the saddle now but I will have to remember to get off the saddle when I stop. I will report back as soon as I go out.
Learn to track stand...
Will it make going up steep hills easier though?

Yes.

Top Bottom