Bike Fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

capricapers

I had a full Retül bike fit (discounted) with Specialized Birmingham today. The upshot is that they lowered my saddle and bars and said that I needed a 38mm bar instead of 40mm ( which was attested and proposed by Bianchi and Ribble anyway and I didn’t even buy their bikes). The upshot is that my 52 Tarmac looks more like a bike suited to a dwarf (!) and if I get on with the lowered bar after riding a fair few miles, they will have to cut my stem. So my question is:
- have you ever had a professional bike fit and did you ride better afterwards?
I do think I was overreaching on the bars and that shoulder ache was a result. They also found that one of my arches was a bit low and I now have insoles to compensate. What are your experiences of bike fits and have they helped?

I had a full Retül bike fit (discounted) with Specialized Birmingham today. The upshot is that they lowered my saddle and bars and said that I needed a 38mm bar instead of 40mm ( which was attested and proposed by Bianchi and Ribble anyway and I didn’t even buy their bikes). The upshot is that my 52 Tarmac looks more like a bike suited to a dwarf (!) and if I get on with the lowered bar after riding a fair few miles, they will have to cut my stem. So my question is:
- have you ever had a professional bike fit and did you ride better afterwards?
I do think I was overreaching on the bars and that shoulder ache was a result. They also found that one of my arches was a bit low and I now have insoles to compensate. What are your experiences of bike fits and have they helped?
Retul bike fits are superb, because of the motion tracking. Paying a bit of money for a bike fit is the best money you can spend on a bike IMO.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You don't have to ever cut the steerer tube, it is fine to leave spacers above the stem and doing so future proofs you against any changes you might need to make after component swaps, injuries or physical changes as you age. Going from a 40cm bar width to a 38cm might seem minor but I suppose a 1cm/10mm change in handlebar grip position for each hand is quite a significant alteration in reality. Did you swap to narrower bars?
I suppose the big question is does the bike feel any better/different after the changes?

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

You don't have to ever cut the steerer tube, it is fine to leave spacers above the stem and doing so future proofs you against any changes you might need to make after component swaps, injuries or physical changes as you age. Going from a 40cm bar width to a 38cm might seem minor but I suppose a 1cm/10mm change in handlebar grip position for each hand is quite a significant alteration in reality. Did you swap to narrower bars?
I suppose the big question is does the bike feel any better/different after the changes?
Thank you. I will show you what they propose. ATM I am riding on an abomination. So ugly!! Riding 50 miles tomorrow so will tell you how that feels. Thank you for caring.

Last edited:

Lozz360

Veteran
I had a bike fit a couple of years ago, although not Retul. I had already followed the Youtube videos and I was only really after confirmation of my DIY bike fit. The only change he made was to raise the saddle height. This made bill climbing much easier so I was very pleased with a very simple adjustment.

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

I had a bike fit a couple of years ago, although not Retul. I had already followed the Youtube videos and I was only really after confirmation of my DIY bike fit. The only change he made was to raise the saddle height. This made bill climbing much easier so I was very pleased with a very simple adjustment.
Wondering whether lowering my seat like they did is going to make me worse at hills... will be able to report back soon!

Thank you - did it help you?
It really helped with comfort during endurance rides, and recovery afterwards.

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

My tale is one of woe. Fit came ‘free’ with a Surly I bought in Bath.

An octopus in a string vest would have been more comfortable.

I know where you’re coming from! The 50-mile ride I was going to do today got shortened to a 16 mile one as my knees were up around my ears (or at least it felt like that). It reminded me of going to the doctor’s for a smear test! I know I’m short but I’m not that short!! I will have to make small adjustments and put my bike back how she was before. £100 wasted!

I know where you’re coming from! The 50-mile ride I was going to do today got shortened to a 16 mile one as my knees were up around my ears (or at least it felt like that). It reminded me of going to the doctor’s for a smear test! I know I’m short but I’m not that short!! I will have to make small adjustments and put my bike back how she was before. £100 wasted!
The fit is only as good as the guys interpreting the data, it sounds like they messed it up. Or it could be that the fit is actually right, but because you’ve got used to ‘doing it wrong’ the ‘right fit’ feels wrong.

nickAKA

Über Member
Without wishing to hijack the thread, would you bother with a pro bike fit if you were comfortable on your bike to start with? Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never suffered any particular aches & pains inspite of having dodgy knees, back & neck.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

:laugh: One of the the things they did to me too. I specifically mentioned that one knee sports an old rugby injury. Saddle too low and my knee was shrieking. Stem too long (Surly DTs have a long top tube) as well.

Long and the short of it was that I have never gone back to them and I give an honest review of them when people ask about them.

I am also short so I know full well it’s not just tall people who suffer bike fit injuries.

vickster

Legendary Member
Without wishing to hijack the thread, would you bother with a pro bike fit if you were comfortable on your bike to start with? Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never suffered any particular aches & pains inspite of having dodgy knees, back & neck.
No, leave as is

I had 3 fits, the Retul was the most expensive and worst. The guy clearly didn’t understand the implications of my joint issues and was only interested in fitting for performance not comfort

I’ve had two with cycling focussed physios after surgery (knee and shoulder), far better as they understood the surgery and issues that led to it... not to mention cheaper and no stupid gimmickry. My bike, turbo trainer, plumb line

@capricapers if not happy get in contact and ask them to review or refund

Top Bottom