Bike Fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In-shop fitting for my most recent bike showed that the settings I'd arrived at myself over the years were pretty much spot on. I had thought that with advancing years I might need to raise the bars a little, and I'd started fiddling about with adjustable stems, and head tube extenders, but it was reassuring that in fact my set up was fine as it was. It is worth getting checked out however (not a Retul fitting BTW).

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

The fit is only as good as the guys interpreting the data, it sounds like they messed it up. Or it could be that the fit is actually right, but because you’ve got used to ‘doing it wrong’ the ‘right fit’ feels wrong.

Yes, you could be right. I think I’ve got used to doing it wrong. But the thing is, I was quicker ‘doing it wrong’ and faster up the hills so I am going to edge it back towards how it was before.

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

Without wishing to hijack the thread, would you bother with a pro bike fit if you were comfortable on your bike to start with? Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never suffered any particular aches & pains inspite of having dodgy knees, back & neck.

I know what you mean - I’m far from a pro - but this fit was free as they promised it to me as we bought two bikes. And I was told by the people in the shop: ‘ If you like and can ride fast on your bike and get good results NOW, they will be even better after the bike fit.’ Sadly, that’s not the case. I did have some shoulder pains and I think that was due to sub-optimal position and over-extending my arms.

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

If a bike fit shows several changes need to be made and someone has been riding like that for some time it can be better to make those changes a little at a time to allow the body to adapt to a new position gradually - rather than doing it all at once and then it feels 'wrong' even if it isn't if you get my drift.

Thank you. That’s worth trying. Basically, they dropped my seat 3cm and also dropped the bars a great deal. The spacers are now on top of the stem (temporarily) and it looks AWFUL!

Thank yo

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thank you. That’s worth trying. Basically, they dropped my seat 3cm and also dropped the bars a great deal. The spacers are now on top of the stem (temporarily) and it looks AWFUL!

Thank yo
I have gradually been changing my position on my bikes. I was surprised to discover that a longer, lower front-end suits me, so I have moved several spacers to above my stems, and also put longer stems on. I have put off cutting down the steerers because I thought that I might change my mind but I rode all year with the lower bars and all has been well. I think I will wait until the Spring and lower the bars another spacer or two to see how that feels, but I suspect that would be too low.

I was wondering something ... If your saddle WAS too high before the changes then you might have got used to riding a bit 'toes-down'. If so, then you could try riding less toes-down in the new position and see how that feels?

I had the saddle too high on one bike and realised that I was having to pedal with a very toes-down style. The problem was that I had a different saddle on every bike so it wasn't immediately obvious how to compare the setups between bikes. I ended up choosing a saddle that I liked and now have the same type on each bike.

its also wrong in assuming everyone has a bike fit does so in the hope of going faster, I would be more interested in comfort.

Yes, you could be right. I think I’ve got used to doing it wrong. But the thing is, I was quicker ‘doing it wrong’ and faster up the hills so I am going to edge it back towards how it was before.
It’s all about what is comfortable for you. If it’s not comfortable, it’s no good. The ‘wrong fit’ might be more neuromuscularly ‘better’, or mechanically ‘better’, but if it’s not working for you, that counts for nothing ultimately.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Paying a bit of money for a bike fit is the best money you can spend on a bike IMO.

I'd rather spend the money on something worthwhile, like buying the bike itself or practical improvements like puncture-resistant tyres that have a tangible benefit. As far as I'm concerned bike fits are nothing more than snake oil for cyclists. There must be a total of several million adults in the UK who ride a push bike on a fairly regular basis. I very much doubt whether more than 1 or 2 percent of them have ever had a bike fit. Does that mean the vast overwhelming majority are missing something? Do all the "great unfitted" also need to have a fit to get the most from cycling? I never have felt the need. In fact until recently I had never even heard of "bike fits"! Sure, I see loads of comically wrong-sized bikes being ridden and loads of silly low saddles, but I also see a lot of perfectly sensible looking set-ups - done in all probability on a trial and error DIY basis with comfort as the criteria.

A lesson I learned is something is often worth what you pay for it, my fit was £185 well spent.

If that were true, my highest quality machine should be the most comfortable. It isn't. The bike I own with the most instant hop-on comfort and ride enjoyment is actually a heavy-ish 45 year old gas pipe all-steel 3-speed roadster that cost me a fiver and whose saddle came off a skip bike and was repaired by me using thin packaging foam and duct tape. You can imagine what it looks like but it rides lovely. The only drawback is the gearing isn't headwind or gradient-friendly so it mostly gets used on fairly still days in flattish terrain.

It’s all about what is comfortable for you. If it’s not comfortable, it’s no good. The ‘wrong fit’ might be more neuromuscularly ‘better’, or mechanically ‘better’, but if it’s not working for you, that counts for nothing ultimately.

Agree totally, and this is why I regard pro bike fits as a complete waste of money. I can tinker around all day with the adjustable bits on a bike without it costing me a penny. A pro fit has to be time-constrained for commercial reasons whereas a DIY session doesn't.
Without wishing to hijack the thread, would you bother with a pro bike fit if you were comfortable on your bike to start with? Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never suffered any particular aches & pains inspite of having dodgy knees, back & neck.

Some cyclists seem to have an urge to spend money on cycling related stuff just for the sake of it. It's some sort of compulsive behaviour, as though if they aren't spending large they cant be getting the most out of it. New bikes just because they are new, endless pointless drivetrain "upgrades" of, at best marginal benefit etc. Years ago you just bought a bike, got on it and rode it. It was that simple! You didn't replace stuff until it wore out and you didn't buy a new bike every year or two just because the colour scheme had changed compared with your current one.

Top Bottom