Bike fitting at "bike and run" London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a road bike on the ride to work scheme from Evans in July as a newbie. I'm now doing longer rides (70ish miles) and hoping to do some sportives +/- LeJog next year and I'd like to try to get the bike set up properly. I've heard great things about the Bike Whisperer but I can't quite stretch to his prices at the moment. I've noticed a shop called Bike and Run in NW London does fittings - has anyone used them before? Is their £40 fitting worth a go?

Ring them up and chat about what method they use to do bike fitting.
If they've got a jig (a specially made bike fitting device), then that's a good sign - it's likely to be ok, assuming they know how to use it.
If it's just a case of sitting you on whatever size bikes they happen to have in stock, the advice will probably lean towards recommending that one of those sizes is what's probably best for you, just because it's what they happen to have in stock.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm gong to speculate that you'll get what you pay for, regardless of equipement, the fitter would need proper training and expertise to do more than a simple fit, ie seat and handlebars

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Thanks for the repliesThey say they have people there trained in "dynamic bikefitting" that they charge £100 for and have you on a turbo etc, I'm just not sure I'm a serious enough cyclist to really feel the benefit of the more expensive fitting over the £40 static one. Guess no one on here's used them before. . . . .

Thanks for the repliesThey say they have people there trained in "dynamic bikefitting" that they charge £100 for and have you on a turbo etc, I'm just not sure I'm a serious enough cyclist to really feel the benefit of the more expensive fitting over the £40 static one. Guess no one on here's used them before. . . . .

£100 does seem a bit much (double what i paid) and it may be that they are using the word "dynamic" as a buzzword to justify the fee.

Tynan

Veteran
local one near me charges £150 but that goes as far as the beds of the shoes

every fit goes to different extents, you'll get what you pay for, list what they're going to do for £40 if you actually want to compare it to other fits in other places

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm a little sceptical about all this stick-you-on-a-turbo thing for bike fittings. That level you can get for less money elsewhere (£75 at Epic in Tenbury Wells, for example). In any case, I didn't have that when my fitting was done, and suffice to say I haven't had any problems in many, many miles of riding. A decent fit should involve your position being checked in any case, not just 'measure you up, adjust saddle etc and send you on your way'. £65 at Velocity Bikes in Pompey, money well spent.

400bhp

Guru
Becs - Evans do bike fitting IIRC for £15 but you should get this for free if you bought the bike from there (well I did). I guess it is reasonably rudimentary but good enough for starters.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
For what its worth, I would always say its worth getting a "bike-fit" done, regardless of how short your rides are, if only to make it a little more comfortable and to avoid possible future injuries / strains

Just make sure the person doing it knows what thet are doing and that the kit they use is up to spec - do some research if poss

Paul.G.

Top Bottom