Bike fitting/setting up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevee

Hi,

I have been thinking of getting a proper bike fitting at LBS, i've road the bike for a good few months now and i've only "set it up" myself and that goes as far as adjusting the seat height.

I don't know if I would benfit from a proper fitting, can anybody with experience of this tell me if there is a significant difference?

Thanks!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Haven't had a proper fitting myself YET, but I can tell you that if you start doing a lot of miles with a bike that isn't properly set up then you could end up with painful joints (in my case knees) which are being over stressed due to a bad set-up. I think my problems are/were down to saddle being too high and/or wrong cleat positioning.

A professional fitting job is on my list of things to do!

OP
OP
S

Stevee

My cleats are fine (i think) as they have a good 6 degrees of float so they kinda set up themselves. I have no idea how stretched out my leg should be at the bottom of the stroke, I could be loosing valueable power!
I've done a good 700 miles with it as it is so far but it might be worth having a proper fitting.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I've never bothered with a fitting service - but that may be my loss.

Getting the seat and cleats right depends on your pedalling style - I'd ask them to explain the differing techniques and if they don't know what you're on about go to someone who does.

colinr

Is the bike comfortable to ride?
If yes, leave it.
If not, what's uncomfortable about it?
Adjust accordingly.

PK99

Legendary Member
Is the bike comfortable to ride?
If yes, leave it.
If not, what's uncomfortable about it?
Adjust accordingly.

It's not simply a matter of comfort- efficiency/power transfer are dependent on position/fit. Plus of course, 'comfortable' does not equate to 'optimum comfort'!

Howard

I don't know if I would benfit from a proper fitting, can anybody with experience of this tell me if there is a significant difference?

Depends what you are looking for. And it depends on what you mean by a proper fitting. Who's your LBS? FYI, fit could be basic adjustments - saddle, bar position etc - to replacing the pedal system, saddle, bars, cranks, stem...

Anyway, if you are intending to do long distnaces (80 miles +), regularly, at speed say on TT, Sportive, Club rides etc I wold think you are taking a bit of risk if you don't. You will, at least, be loosing out on an opportunity to optimise the bike for your style and your goals.

I had my bike set up by This Chap and it made a big difference to the quality of the ride.

Randochap

Senior hunter
A trip to a bike fitter can be educational for a newcomer. The thing is finding a fitter who works to modify and optimize your fit based on your individual needs, rather than a preconceived "formula."

Ultimately, you are the only person who can fit your bike to you, based on your style of riding.

There are plenty of tips at my VeloWeb bike fit page. Start with incremental changes. Experimentation is the key.

Also remember that fit will vary by season and fitness level. Some changes may be needed in the rider, as well as the machine. For instance, you may find more comfort by developing areas that cycling neglects, such as core muscles.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hi,

I have been thinking of getting a proper bike fitting at LBS, i've road the bike for a good few months now and i've only "set it up" myself and that goes as far as adjusting the seat height.

Thanks!

Get a bike fitting, it is worth paying for, it really can change the feel of your bike! :thumbsup:

kewb

Haven't had a proper fitting myself YET, but I can tell you that if you start doing a lot of miles with a bike that isn't properly set up then you could end up with painful joints (in my case knees) which are being over stressed due to a bad set-up. I think my problems are/were down to saddle being too high and/or wrong cleat positioning.

A professional fitting job is on my list of things to do!

a lot of the stress on knees is due to incorrect gears ,

if theres too much resistance when pedalling try another gear and higher cadence it might help .

Top Bottom