Bike fork mounts for transportation diy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
When transporting 2 bikes in my small doblo van its a bit tight with 29 ers with the front wheels on.

So plan is to make a wheel out fork clamp so they are secured securely.

Im thinking 15mm internal pipe dia cut to 110mm and brackets to hold the pipes then fix to wood blocks and then the van floor.
Easy so far but i want to make them detachable so i have a clear van loading area when not moving the bikes.
What i dont want is a 15 minute dismantling session as im not noted for my patience :whistle:
Anyone done this or can you suggest a solution?
Idealy forks to rear for ease of loading..

I dont mind buying a kit but not found owt suitable yet

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can you use an additional quick release axle somehow ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What about mounting on a frame, like a H shape. Front part to take mounts, middle of H to support another cross member that sits under the wheels.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Can you use an additional quick release axle somehow ?

Maybe an option

What about mounting on a frame, like a H shape. Front part to take mounts, middle of H to support another cross member that sits under the wheels.

That idea may be a good start, as i might be able to use the boarded wheel arches.
Though it will all depend on length needed. Steel baulkhead takes up space so it does limit me. Bloody long these slack 29ers

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Having just had a look i think a length of 4x2 with the ends angle cut so it locks into the rear of the boarded arches.

Then build the fork clamps with wood and just drill a 15mm hole for the axle.
Handlebars may be the problem?
I may need to think that one out..
I can then lift the axle frame out if needed.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Are the forks on those bikes through-axle or QR?
If QR, then this type of thing will work nicely. View attachment 490924
Through axle 15mm x110

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
As it turns out i dont need anything making.
Pop the wheel out of one bike put in rear wheel first and its sits perfectly stable against my wheelarch and bulkhead and the bungee hook holds it.
Other bike simply fits in front wheel first as it always has with a bungee securing it.

So i now have a nice bit of treated 4x2 to find a use for :smile:

crossfire

talking a problem over with friends often enables one to "think outside the box" and a solution will present itself

Top Bottom