Bike hanging racks - without drilling in the wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I have no idea of how to detect it
It is a bit of an art form I use the back of a knuckle & lightly tap the wall as I work across it, the tone changes when you get onto a piece of wood. There are handheld scanners that claim to be able to identify wood, but the ones I used (admittedly a long time ago) didn't seem very effective. Although some will find the fixing screws & you can use that as your basis to plan the wall out, but at £100 those self standing ones look very good.

irw

Quadricyclist
Alternatively...

Timber wall studs are generally 16 inches apart in UK walls. Measure 16 inch / 400 mm increments from room corner to where you want to hang stuff and drill a few fine holes till you find the stud (upright wooden bearer on which plasterboard is fixed).

Rather than drilling, if you 'skewer' the wall with a small flat headed screwdriver, or bradawl, it's pretty obvious when you hit a stud or not, as the tool won't go into the wood very easily, whereas if you miss the stud, it will be a bit hard through the plasterboard, then suddenly move freely through.

Top Bottom