Bike headset loose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Are you on good enough terms with the seller to ask him how it fits back together?
Not really lol.. well at least he didn't give me bad feedback.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Yeah everything else is set right I'm sure.will remove rubber thing in a min see if it helps. I think it might be due to the bung screw thing sliding up someone mentioned. As even when super tight spacers are easily moved and steering is fine. Just don't want to ride with wobbly headset as I'll get the ring of death on carbon fork.
Do you have enough spacers on? To me it sounds like you don't.

C R

Guru
Yeah I'm using all the ones that came with bike and with stem and plug on its completely flush there isn't room for another spacer.
The top spacer needs to the proud of the steerer by two or three mm, so that once you start compression it remains higher than the steerer, otherwise the top cap bottoms out. If you start with the top spacer flush with the steerer then you don't have enough spacers.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The top spacer needs to the proud of the steerer by two or three mm, so that once you start compression it remains higher than the steerer, otherwise the top cap bottoms out. If you start with the top spacer flush with the steerer then you don't have enough spacers.
This! Have you by any chance swapped stem from the one that the previous owner had?

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

I think I need another spacer think im just pressing on the stem and the cap isnt doing its job as its not got enough room. Will my local bike shop sell spacers do you think? Are spacers all one size like universal or many different circumference sizes?

C R

Guru
I think I need another spacer think im just pressing on the stem and the cap isnt doing its job as its not got enough room. Will my local bike shop sell spacers do you think? Are spacers all one size like universal or many different circumference sizes?
Bike shop is likely to have. Spacer diameter is always the same, and there are spacers in different heights.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Bike shop is likely to have. Spacer diameter is always the same, and there are spacers in different heights.

But being a carbon expander plug doesn't it just press outwards? I don't get how it pulls the fork up? Also should I get a long plug as one I got is very small not enough area to cover both pinch bolts. But I guess since the current small ones been fine for 10 years maybe its ok. Also what size do you think I should get bearing in mind its flush now like I said earlier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom