Bike Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
I've had a long break from cycling for the best part of 15 years and after some recent personal problems I am now rebounding and reliving my lost passion for cycling again but " boy " have things changed over the years. Back in "my hay day" anybody seen with a bike helmet was mainly met with ridicule and in the 80s when I did most of my serious cycling , helmets were almost unheard of. As i,m still a little prehistoric to modern cycling I still don't wear a helmet but I do feel like I'm the one nowadays who is ridiculed and feel quite out of place not wearing one. Virtually every cyclist I see now wears a helmet with the exception to the local chavs riding around town. So I think its time I should see some common sense and let the moths out of the wallet and buy one.With each week passing I'm cycling further a field and spent many miles on busy A roads and I don't want to feel or be any more vulnerable than I already am.
So would anybody like to give this prehistoric Neanderthal some advice on what helmet I should buy. Do all cycle helmets have to meet a certain safety bench mark to be sold in the UK or is it unregulated free market. for manufacturers. Even Home bargains sell them for £4 and they don't look to bad but are they any less safer than a more expensive one. I can't imagine any cycle helmet would ward off the effects of a 42 ton truck rolling over it ( heaven forbid ) so they must be purely for saving your head from an impact if you go ass over breast as well as the dreaded gravel..
rash.
Anyway thank you for reading and any posts that follow are greatly appreciated.
Johnny :-))

Not a lot has changed since the 80s other than perception.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Whoops,, a message to the moderators.
I just begun to read the above link where it states no more separate threads should be created on this subject. As I'm a newbie here I was not aware of this rule so please feel free to remove my original post and please accept my apologies .
Johnny ..

jay clock

Massive member
You did not really raise the ugly subject, the essence was that you wanted helmet advice. The key thing is get one that fits, so go to a proper bike shop. Once you know what brand fits you, you can buy online. I have a big head but also round rather than oval so many brands are too tight on the sides.

Enjoy the cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom